Markdown for attachments broken

Marty Combs July 18, 2019

I'm unable to find where this question has been answered but the new JiraCloud release does not render links to attachments according to the documentation.  When I enter [^attachment.txt], it shows up as that rather than creating a link.

Toggling to the older view reveals my text was converted to \[^attachment.txt]

I tried changing the renderer to the "Default renderer" but my text shows up as [^attachment.txt] with no link and no apparent way to fix it.

1 answer

1 vote
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 19, 2019

Hi Marty,

Using the editor in The new Jira issue view, it dose not use the same logic as the old editor as you noted so the wiki markup formatting ([^attachment.txt]) no longer applies in the new editing experience.

Drag and drop of an image into the comment, or doing a copy and paste an image into a comment from the clipboard, or using the Quick-add button for "Add image" would be the current methods to add the attachment in the new issue view.  The Wiki markup formatting as noted above is no longer an option.

More details can be seen here:

Noting there are still some inconsistencies in the attachments, and if you take a look at the Sub-Task list on the following link which is the main Story issue type where we are collecting and tracking new issue view related bugs and improvements:

In the list there are several attachment related features and bug sub-tasks we are tracking progress on, with additional details on workarounds in each, but the following feature request looks like it aligns with what you are running into and disabling the new issue view to default to the old editor is the only workaround currently:

Regards,
Earl

Marty Combs July 22, 2019

From initial view of the list of feature requests in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-70555 I do not see what I would call my request as one.

I need to be able to use Wiki markdown to include links to attachments in comments, descriptions, etc.  The existing markdown - [^attachment.png] for link view and !attachment.png|thumbnail! for inclusion of a thumbnail - worked quite well.

Is this already a feature request?  Did I overlook it?

Like Bridget Maloney likes this
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 23, 2019

Hi Marty,

The Old formatting did work quite well and power users loved it, but the decision to make the change came from feedback we were receiving from many that it was confusing with a high barrier to entry, increasing the amount of training for new users needed to become comfortable on the systems formatting & syntax options, in turn increasing the workload for admins to provide that training and correcting mistakes.  The old markup formatting is no more and was removed from the system based on that overwhelming feedback from end users and admins on this functionality, some additional details on this can be seen in "Jira Cloud new issue view editor changes: What’s changing, and why?" noting:

We’ve removed wiki markup from the new editor in favor of full markdown support. This is a significant change, and we thank all of you for the feedback you’ve sent.

With the new editor there are still shortcut options over the wizywig point an click formatting buttons but the options have changed to align with markdown standards over the previous markup standard, requiring some added learning on the power user side but making it easier for the new user to pick up and go with minimal effort using the point and click options.  For more details on the changes a full list of the new Markdown formatting syntax and hotkeys can bee seen here:

Such as using the hot keys of either 3 tics "```" OR the combo keys of ⌘+Shift+M (Mac) OR CTRL+Shift+M (windows/linux) in the new editor to add in a code block over the old editors "{code} text as code {code}" options

Additional options are also included by using the "/" key.  Type "/" to open a list of macros and other content that you can add to your rich text fields with the new editor, such as "/code" to select a code block as well.

Using the "/" option does also allow for a quick attachment shortcut via starting to type and selecting the "files & images" option in the list to trigger the add attachment dialogue, however there is currently a limitation in the attachment dialogue function we are working to fix covered in the sub-task list of features I sent previously and also detailed at the link below, where this only initiates adding a new attachment or recently uploaded attachments as the new editor does not display the attachment list for files on the current issue:

So unfortunatly, there is not a quick option at this moment to add in the attachments that are on the current issue like you could with markup syntax, until the feature request noted above is added into the feature set for this ability.  The workaround for attachments that are already on the current issue but are not in the recent upload sections, is to download the image you want to add to the comment inline and re-upload the image into the comment. 

In your case it sounds like the attachment functionality is being used quite regularly so I would recomend switching off the new editor to continue using the old editor with the inline attachment markup formatting until this option is added in using the "/files & images" quick add function.  Make sure to add a vote to the feature to help out in our prioritization efforts per the Implementation of New Features Policy and also feel free to add some feedback in the comment section on what you wold like to see included in the is feature to help us shape the design.

In the mean time to disable the New editor (Noting this only applies to classic project templates the next-Gen projects cannot disable the new editor) go to your "profile >> Personal settings" and under the section "Jira Labs" untick the selector box to disable the setting in your account.

Regards,
Earl

Bridget Maloney
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2020

Hi @Earl McCutcheon ,

I was wondering if you had any updates on the ability to paste markdown for an attachment?  It seems like normal links work and formatting like this is how it would intuitively work: 

[Attachment Name](^attachmentName.txt)

This is something that my team and I also frequently use - although we also like other benefits in the new editor and do not want to completely convert back. 

This markdown functionality seems like an optional thing that would help everyone - standard users can use the interface while power users can continue to use the markdown for everything they need to. 

My scenario is that I manually write the markdown outside of Jira and paste in - all other markdown items work, however attachments need to be manually circled back and edited with the editor - which means I sometimes miss them :) 

Do you know if there are plans to use the link markdown with attachments?  Can you please help? 

Thank you,
Bridget

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
March 22, 2021

Hello @Bridget Maloney  And @Marty Combs ,

Thanks for the ping and I am circling back to this one to make sure you saw the update we posted last week on the feature request:

Noting that we have this one set to "in progress" currently and will be rolling out soon but the work to implement will not start to go into effect until after the upcoming full transition to the new issue view at the end of this month, so it is still a way out in development but it is in the pipeline as a top priority, noting:

Atlassian update - 18 March 2021

Hi everyone,

Work on attachment referencing in the new issue view has begun! When this feature is released, you’ll be able to reference existing attachments in comments and fields using the editor. This ticket is a top priority we’re currently working on and will be done after we transition everyone to the new issue view.

Make sure to watch this issue for updates on our progress.

Regards,

Atlassian

Please add yourself as a watcher on the request to be notified when the feature is launched.

Regards,
Earl

Like Bridget Maloney likes this
Bridget Maloney
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2021

Very exciting, thank you so much @Earl McCutcheon !  I am now watching this issue!

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this

Suggest an answer