Mark Epic as Done -- how to undo?

Doug Varn February 4, 2014

Seems simple, but I don't see a way to do it.

I marked a few epics as Done in GH and also closed them as Done. I reopened them but still can't see them in GH.

Anything I can do other than re-create them?

2 answers

1 accepted

19 votes
Answer accepted
Doug Varn February 4, 2014

One thing I just found is a "epic status" field which seems to be what this Mark as Done operation updates. I couldn't find any easy way to edit it, but created a filter where the Epic Status != Done and found those issues. Then I bulk updated them back to To Do and it worked.

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2014

Yes, that's the right way. If you add Epic Status to the Edit Screen it should be editable.

Like marcmcclain likes this
CinziaS May 25, 2016

Thanks this helped! Strangely I had to set the status to None as it showed as To Do (and still does after updating to None in the Bulk Edit).

Deleted user September 29, 2017

This do not work How do I unmark an epic after marking it as done? the status did not change to done. There is no place to find the epics any more and the status cant be changed to none. This new JIRA do not work for me at all. I can´t find anything anymore. Bad bad

Like # people like this
Valerie Lotin January 26, 2018

Who and how can we add "Epic Status" field in the Edit Epic Screen?

Right now "Epic Status" is not displayed in the Configure Fields List linked o the "Edit Issue" screen.

rob papesch May 24, 2018

You'll need to ask a Jira Administrator to enable the field

Recurly Operations June 20, 2018

Marking the Epic Status as not done does nothing to make it show up again in the Epics list.  Sounds like a big defect with JIRA

Like Sally Lopez likes this
varun June 28, 2018

Hello @rob papesch,

How can a Jira admin can retrive it back to backlog can you please guide me ,

Regards,

Varun.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Shanta Nathwani June 25, 2019

As a Jira Administrator, I was able to add the "Epic Status" to the screen for the project in which the epic resided. When I set the epic status to "None", it resolved our issue, which is that one of our non-administrators was attempting to add the epic to a number of issues, but it wasn't being presented as an option in the drop down on the individual tickets that she was creating. Now, she can search and select the epic. Someone else in our organization had marked it as done when they shouldn't have and I needed to change it back. 

Suggest an answer