Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Mandatory fields not letting me to create an issue

Hey Community,

Jira is throwing error saying mandatory fields are required when trying to create an issue.

I have checked the field configuration but those fields are not marked as required.

There is also no transition rule in the workflow,

Can someone help me understand what's the issue here?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey Community Leader Apr 28, 2022

Hi @Ankit Tiwari ,

are you sure there is not a Validator on the Create transition?

if you supply a value does the create succeed?

where are you checking to see if the field is mandatory?

I must have spent months looking at exactly the wrong field configuration (in server/company-managed projects) over my career - are you 100% sure you are looking at the right one?

There's a difference between the error message a validator and a field configuration throws on mandatory fields, could you tell us what the error is (just the plain text of the error, don't need screenshots etc)

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Field Environment (Dev/QA/Prod) is required.
Field Epic Link is required.
Field Fix versions is required.
Field Phase is required.
Field System/s is required.
Field Target Sprint (roadmap) is required.

This is the error I get and when I look at them in the field scheme none of them is "required" . Also I am doing this in Jira cloud maybe that might have something to do with it.

@Jack Brickey , 

1) Are you sure there is not a Validator on the Create transition? -  there is no Validator on the Create transition in the workflow. I am sure nobody in my org is using scrip runner.

2) if you supply a value does the create succeed? - Yes it does.

3) where are you checking to see if the field is mandatory - I am checking this in Jira Settings->  Field Configuration -> View field configuration -> Fields (Name, Screens, Action). In action there is a button if field's required or not and its not.

Script-runner is not the only thing that gives you validators, there's loads of things that do it, including Jira itself.  Are you 100% sure there are no validators from any app or Jira on the create transition?

Are you sure you are looking at the right field configuration?

Go back to the project, and note the issue type you are trying to create.  Go to project admin -> Field configuration scheme and go into that to find the one mapped to this issue type, then descend into it to find the optional flags (the option to change is usually named as what you're going to change it to - so currently optional fields display "mandatory", and currently mandatory fields show "optional")

Oh, and check what workflow the issue type is using in the same way.

You guys were right it was the workflow. There was a validator and I was getting confused in 2 different ones. So I am all set.

Thanks for your help.

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Jack Brickey Community Leader May 02, 2022

Good to hear. I was pretty sure that was where it was.

Like Ankit Tiwari likes this

Yes you were right. I just got confused with so many workflows and schemes. Need to do a better job trying to admin this maze.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you