Managing external users

Anders Hebert May 20, 2024

We wish to let a supplier access a Jira Software project (Company Managed).

I would like input as to how I should manage these users and if there are any permission settings or similar that I should think about. We have as of today not created a separate group or any form of permissions-schemes.

If it is possible, I would like to limit these external users to only access the Jira-project which I will add them to (not all Jira-projects in our organisation). My initial idea is to add these users these users (with the external email addresses) to our organisation (as users), then add them as Users in the specific Jira-project where they will be working with our employees.

Also (but less important) - are there also any simple ways of limiting them to specific issues/epics within the Jira-project? 

1 answer

0 votes
Nikola Perisic
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2024

Hello @Anders Hebert 

In order for these users to have access to Jira only, when you are inviting them, only choose Jira as a product and also the role of User.

When it comes to limiting these users to see only certain projects, for each of your project you would need to edit their permission scheme which has the Browse projects project permission and limit to the role that you want your users to see and delete the Any logged in user role from that permission scheme.

Before the mentioned step, I would recommend to create a project role of External for example and define them in the Browse projects permission. Also, don't forget to add these users to the projects they need to see with the project role that suits them the best. 

To limit the users to see some certain issues, you would need to create a issue security scheme where you would add security levels and assign project roles to these security levels. This way, only the users that have the permissions which are tied to a project role, will be able to see these issues.

Humberto Gomes May 20, 2024

I fully agree with this solution.

It's what I have implemented in my instance. Creating a group called "external", changing the security schema, and creating a dedicated Project Role allows the Project admins to control access. It works like a charm.

Like Nikola Perisic likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events