Managing Next-gen status/workflows

Deleted user December 3, 2018

Hello,

We're a small company which has just started with Jira Cloud.  We've created a bunch of Next-gen projects and have setup a Kanban board based on a custom filter so that we can manage issues across all our projects.

The problem I'm having is that the Next-gen projects only come with To Do, In Progress and Done statuses and in order to use the Kanban backlog I need an additional status (eg. "Ready for Development").  

I can't find any documentation on where to add new statuses to Next-gen projects?  

I can't see anything in the individual project settings and when I go to the global workflow settings there isn't an active workflow associated with my Next-gen projects.

I assume I'm missing something obvious?

Many thanks,
Adam.

8 answers

1 accepted

17 votes
Answer accepted
jillian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2019

Hi all, 

I'm a PM at Atlassian, and I'm excited to tell you that we're currently working on adding a new Edit Workflow feature to next-gen projects!  

We still have a bit of work to do, but you can watch this ticket to get updates on our progress. 

Please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly at jstein@atlassian.com with anything you're hoping to see in next-gen workflows. 

Cheers,

Jillian

Phil Rosenstein May 21, 2019

Why would Atlassian release next-gen with such a glaring deficiency?

edit: at least I can add a status by adding a new column on Kanban... good enough for now!

Like # people like this
Jay Hawkins November 13, 2019

@jillian any update on this? The linked ticket does not give much information.

Like # people like this
Abhishek Mangal February 24, 2020

@jillian , is there any update to this request? its 2020 and I still dont see the additional status available for next-get projects. Could you share some directions? 

Like # people like this
Ian August 11, 2020

2020 is slowly crawling towards its end. Next-Gen projects are still a pale shadow of classic ones. Nice...

Like # people like this
Jafar Shunnar August 12, 2020

Any update on this fellas?

Like # people like this
Brendan Keeler August 26, 2020

The Atlassian "identify a product problem and don't resolve it for years" classic move.

Like # people like this
Paweł Owczarek September 29, 2020

I need this fix too :)

Anna Lucovsky October 20, 2020

Currently, Manage Workflows leads to Issue Types instead of opening the Rules, which makes it impossible to maintain the rules already defined. Is this a bug?

White_King April 16, 2022

2022 and still waiting?

8 votes
Paul Alexandru Zah May 13, 2019

For configuring the category of the state (ie, having "Done" and "Won't Do"), please vote here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17497

3 votes
Aswin Achuthan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2018

Next-Gen Projects in Jira Cloud is created to mainly focus on quick set-up, easy to configure projects. There is no workflow assigned to the project(they might enhance this)

For me, this article was helpful: Everything you want to know about next-gen projects in Jira Cloud

You can add a new status directly on your board. Simply add a new column, and drag and drop it into the spot you want. Next-gen projects support neat, linear workflows at the moment. More workflow configuration is coming soon.

Deleted user December 3, 2018

D'oh.  Thanks!

David Markowski (DO NOT USE) December 12, 2018

That's a bummer ..  Is there a way to create a template for a next gen project? 

Aswin Achuthan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2018

@David Markowski (DO NOT USE) While creating Next-gen project, in the left side bar we can select the template eg: Scrum, Kanban or Incident Management. 

These are predefined by Atlassian for simple use. For any advanced configuration we have Jira Classic projects.

check Jira Software Roadmap for Next-gen projects upcoming features.

Mag Shum February 18, 2019

Definitely a bummer. I can't even have a 'Cancelled' status.

Like # people like this
Aswin Achuthan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2019

@Mag ShumNext-gen projects allows us to create new status from Board(Scrum or Backlog). Click + icon to add column and enter the status name. Rearrange the new column to change to the category(To Do, In Progress or Resolved) for status

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 9.50.43 AM.png

Like # people like this
Mag Shum February 27, 2019

@Aswin Achuthan On the board, yes. Is there anyway I can have it on the Roadmap view?

Like # people like this
Julie King November 1, 2019

That is ridiculous. Some of the features of the Next Gen projects are very good, especially the automatic roadmaps. But then you go and make them essentially useless. Once again Atlassian almost gets it right but fundamentally fails.

Like # people like this
Ian Goldstein December 20, 2019

It's hard to imagine something as simple as this can't be released in version one. 

Like bwhiteman likes this
Robby Ibrahim February 18, 2020

The good news is this new direction is where Atlassian is putting forth their efforts! Fear not, it'll get handled!

Next-gen is the reason I'm using Atlassian again. Starting over is hard and when they arrive at the destination, the compromises along the way will be forgotten. 

Anyway, yeah I was hoping I could add a new Done category but I'll figure out a way to deal until it arrives.

remy_debertonne March 2, 2020

Totally agree with Julie, Next gen is good especially because of the road map but some functionalities are missing.

I need workflow to be able to keep tickets status updated on linked/related tickets. I can only do that on Jira classic but there is no roadmap :(

What is the work around for this? 

Like # people like this
2 votes
Deleted user June 22, 2019

Well, of course you can make the default configuration of the Next-gen in the best way you think, but not to allow to modify this configurations is very unprofessional. You are blocking the work of the people in this way. Jira should be enough flexible to cover all the different work flows, also with the next-gen products.

1 vote
Danelle Bailey November 27, 2019

I am working on setting up a similar setup recommended in this blog post about using Jira for Designers.... written by a Jira team.

How was this created if this feature doesn't exist? Am I missing something? https://medium.com/designing-atlassian/how-to-jira-for-designers-e37c354aa078

0 votes
Emily Kaetterhenry March 25, 2021

Create a Next-Gen project and switch to Scrum board. You can do what you want with the columns (so long as you use common board titles that automatically create a status...At least "QA" and "Deploy to Production" produce statuses). Turn off "Sprints" so it doesn't appear (if you don't want it) from: Project Settings>Features>toggle off Sprint. 

0 votes
Jesse Geiger August 13, 2020

For those awaiting a never-going-to-happen feature for Jira Next-Gen projects, the ability to customize your workflow AND the ability to control transitions, I suggest the following.  Not super pretty, but definitely functional:

1- In your NextGen project, as others have suggested go to the BOARD section on the left and create all the workflow Statuses you desire (Blocked, Done, In Progress, QA, etc).  Drag/Drop them in order from left > right in that board view.  That will set the order they are displayed in the issue view, top to bottom.

2 - Go into the project's automation area (Project settings / Apps / Project Automation.  Create a new rule and ensure it is set as a Project Rule, not Global. This most likely has to be set afterwards, but just to bring it to your attention.

3 - Create the rule as shown in the attached pic: 
WHEN issue is transitioned from *current state* (pick one), and leave TO blank.
For CURRENT PROJECT (this makes it not Global)
Create a branch... IF {{fieldChange.toString}} DOES NOT EQUAL *State 2*
THEN Transition issue back to original state

This essentially forces transitions to follow a certain path using IF, THEN, ELSE logic.  If you go from Analysis to QA, it will fail and transition back to Analysis.  If you go from Analysis to Close, it could pass and stay there.

Create a new rule for each status, using standard logic to process (AND or OR conditions).

You can always throw an OR statement in there if you need to allow a transition to more than 1 other state.

This was a quick n dirty rule I made to get something working.  I'm sure many of you will tweak it out to adjust to your environment.

Automation.png

0 votes
Dan McGrath April 29, 2020

We use a Blocked column on the Jira board with a WIP limit as zero, so that it quickly highlights whenever somebody is blocked.

With next-gen projects, does anybody have an issue with setting a WIP limit to 0, only for this value to be removed by the system very shortly afterwards, restoring to the default of a blank/unlimited WIP limit?

If I set WIP limit to 1, the value of 1 remains intact.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events