It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Managing Next-gen status/workflows Edited

Hello,

We're a small company which has just started with Jira Cloud.  We've created a bunch of Next-gen projects and have setup a Kanban board based on a custom filter so that we can manage issues across all our projects.

The problem I'm having is that the Next-gen projects only come with To Do, In Progress and Done statuses and in order to use the Kanban backlog I need an additional status (eg. "Ready for Development").  

I can't find any documentation on where to add new statuses to Next-gen projects?  

I can't see anything in the individual project settings and when I go to the global workflow settings there isn't an active workflow associated with my Next-gen projects.

I assume I'm missing something obvious?

Many thanks,
Adam.

4 answers

1 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
jillian Atlassian Team May 16, 2019

Hi all, 

I'm a PM at Atlassian, and I'm excited to tell you that we're currently working on adding a new Edit Workflow feature to next-gen projects!  

We still have a bit of work to do, but you can watch this ticket to get updates on our progress. 

Please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly at jstein@atlassian.com with anything you're hoping to see in next-gen workflows. 

Cheers,

Jillian

Why would Atlassian release next-gen with such a glaring deficiency?

edit: at least I can add a status by adding a new column on Kanban... good enough for now!

Like # people like this

@jillian any update on this? The linked ticket does not give much information.

Next-Gen Projects in Jira Cloud is created to mainly focus on quick set-up, easy to configure projects. There is no workflow assigned to the project(they might enhance this)

For me, this article was helpful: Everything you want to know about next-gen projects in Jira Cloud

You can add a new status directly on your board. Simply add a new column, and drag and drop it into the spot you want. Next-gen projects support neat, linear workflows at the moment. More workflow configuration is coming soon.

D'oh.  Thanks!

That's a bummer ..  Is there a way to create a template for a next gen project? 

@David Markowski While creating Next-gen project, in the left side bar we can select the template eg: Scrum, Kanban or Incident Management. 

These are predefined by Atlassian for simple use. For any advanced configuration we have Jira Classic projects.

check Jira Software Roadmap for Next-gen projects upcoming features.

Definitely a bummer. I can't even have a 'Cancelled' status.

Like # people like this

@Mag ShumNext-gen projects allows us to create new status from Board(Scrum or Backlog). Click + icon to add column and enter the status name. Rearrange the new column to change to the category(To Do, In Progress or Resolved) for status

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 9.50.43 AM.png

Like Kulunu Senavirathna likes this

@Aswin Achuthan On the board, yes. Is there anyway I can have it on the Roadmap view?

Like # people like this

That is ridiculous. Some of the features of the Next Gen projects are very good, especially the automatic roadmaps. But then you go and make them essentially useless. Once again Atlassian almost gets it right but fundamentally fails.

For configuring the category of the state (ie, having "Done" and "Won't Do"), please vote here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17497

Well, of course you can make the default configuration of the Next-gen in the best way you think, but not to allow to modify this configurations is very unprofessional. You are blocking the work of the people in this way. Jira should be enough flexible to cover all the different work flows, also with the next-gen products.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

303 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you