Managing Approval Process through JIRA

Hi All,

I'm handling the JIRA administrator role in the company, I need your answers on below question. Please kindly reply for this if your know how to do it.

1. Business User Creating a TASK issue in a JIRA scrum software project.

2. Then he need to assign it to Head of the department to get APPROVE/REJECT status(This Can be a Single Drop down list).

3. Once Head of the department approved the TASK, it should assign to CEO of that user.

4. CEO also can APPROVE/REJECT the request, if he APPROVED, it should assign to relevant Product Owner.

5. Product Owner then APPROVE/REJECT the request, if he APPROVED, it should assign it to relevant Scrum master.

I would like to know.....

1. Can i achieve this using a WORKFLOW?
  2. Or each user need to manual select the next user(Assignee) and that user can select the field and give the approve or reject.
  3. If the request approved, can it automatically assigned to relevant user?
  4. Or do you have any suggestions on that?

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

After going through few video tutorials, Finally i found a solution, i able to achieve the requirement through workflow.

Could you point us to the video tutorials you used? Thanks!

To automate all of this, you can create script post function in workflow step using Script Runner Plugin.
Dependency of department head/CEO/product owner
(or maybe  Department/CEO/product) you can store as Issues of some project.

I want to do this without using plugins, please tell if so.

Create different steps APPROVE for each Head of departments.
in each step add post function "Update Issue Field" and set assignee to specific CEO. Different Approve steps for different product owners similarly.
But with coding it will be better.

I did what you said, yes once the TASK issue been created, it's automatically assigned to Head of the department, but after that how it will be done?, how it will handle in workflow. Since once the Head of the department is logged into JIRA and when he see the dashboard, that task will be assigned under him, but the problem is where to put next step?

I have this attached standard workflow in the project and other screens.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

Workflow is possible. But you should have master data for each employee , who will be the department head/CEO/product owner. If this master data is available, workflow can be configured.

Master data is available, can you please tell me how to configure this required workflow by easy steps?

you have to create master project and save all the department heads/CEO/Product owner details and write a plugin to read the data from these masters basing on the requester. 

New plugin will be required. 

Alternative is you can use (calculated text field of) below plugin and try

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.innovalog.jmcf.jira-misc-custom-fields/server/overview

If you don't want to use any plugins then , i feel your point2 (each user need to manual select the next user(Assignee) and that user can select the field and give the approve or reject.) will be the option

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Aug 06, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

A is for Activate: Share your top Jira Service Desk onboarding tips for new users!

Hi, everyone! Molly here from the Jira Service Desk Product Marketing Team :).  In the spirit of this month's  august-challenge, we're sourcing stories of Jira Service Desk activation fro...

573 views 25 15
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you