Managing Approval Process through JIRA

Yaham Jayasuriya (JIRA Admin) November 6, 2017

Hi All,

I'm handling the JIRA administrator role in the company, I need your answers on below question. Please kindly reply for this if your know how to do it.

1. Business User Creating a TASK issue in a JIRA scrum software project.

2. Then he need to assign it to Head of the department to get APPROVE/REJECT status(This Can be a Single Drop down list).

3. Once Head of the department approved the TASK, it should assign to CEO of that user.

4. CEO also can APPROVE/REJECT the request, if he APPROVED, it should assign to relevant Product Owner.

5. Product Owner then APPROVE/REJECT the request, if he APPROVED, it should assign it to relevant Scrum master.

I would like to know.....

1. Can i achieve this using a WORKFLOW?
  2. Or each user need to manual select the next user(Assignee) and that user can select the field and give the approve or reject.
  3. If the request approved, can it automatically assigned to relevant user?
  4. Or do you have any suggestions on that?

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Yaham Jayasuriya (JIRA Admin) November 7, 2017

After going through few video tutorials, Finally i found a solution, i able to achieve the requirement through workflow.

Peter R. July 18, 2018

Could you point us to the video tutorials you used? Thanks!

Like # people like this
Peter R. July 19, 2018

Thank you!

Upasna_Bassi September 21, 2018

Yaham - Hey, I just came across this post and solution videos. I needed to implement something like this, but the user also needs the approval to be automated for some kinds of tasks. Is that something you might be able to help me with?

Yaham Jayasuriya (JIRA Admin) September 21, 2018

Your requirement is not clear, do you have a diagram, what needs to be done? Then it will be easy to me to help you. 

Deleted user April 3, 2019

Hi Yaham

Can we implement a worlflow which will have approve/reject in a jira software project?

If so, please let me know how?

Thanks

Like # people like this
1 vote
Toli An November 6, 2017

To automate all of this, you can create script post function in workflow step using Script Runner Plugin.
Dependency of department head/CEO/product owner
(or maybe  Department/CEO/product) you can store as Issues of some project.

I want to do this without using plugins, please tell if so.

Toli An November 6, 2017

Create different steps APPROVE for each Head of departments.
in each step add post function "Update Issue Field" and set assignee to specific CEO. Different Approve steps for different product owners similarly.
But with coding it will be better.

Yaham Jayasuriya (JIRA Admin) November 7, 2017

I did what you said, yes once the TASK issue been created, it's automatically assigned to Head of the department, but after that how it will be done?, how it will handle in workflow. Since once the Head of the department is logged into JIRA and when he see the dashboard, that task will be assigned under him, but the problem is where to put next step?

I have this attached standard workflow in the project and other screens.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

0 votes
IT HELP April 16, 2021

I got an odd request from our operations manager....

So...he wants to add his approval between the ticket fulfillment and closure....

basically the technician will work on the ticket...mark as resolved...send to the ops manager to approve the ticket closure....

I never saw anything like this...is it possible to set this kind of approval workflow?

0 votes
Robert McKenzie November 10, 2020

too many manual steps.  step one create ticket - auto goes to manager, step two auto goes to manager's boss.  Step 3 then can manual go to project manager.  Project manger manually assign programmer/developer. When ready to be deployed, have user that created the request test it and approve.  Then move into production, have user regression testing.  

0 votes
sanjay_sapra June 17, 2020

Hi All , i am working on JIRA core . but not able to add Approval stage in my work flow . Where assigned approver can approve the change and in case of multiple approvers .I am able to see who approved the changes and who is pending .

Please help me 

0 votes
Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2017

Workflow is possible. But you should have master data for each employee , who will be the department head/CEO/product owner. If this master data is available, workflow can be configured.

Master data is available, can you please tell me how to configure this required workflow by easy steps?

Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2017

you have to create master project and save all the department heads/CEO/Product owner details and write a plugin to read the data from these masters basing on the requester. 

New plugin will be required. 

Alternative is you can use (calculated text field of) below plugin and try

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.innovalog.jmcf.jira-misc-custom-fields/server/overview

If you don't want to use any plugins then , i feel your point2 (each user need to manual select the next user(Assignee) and that user can select the field and give the approve or reject.) will be the option

Suggest an answer