Manage sub-projects on JIRA Cloud

Adrien Gaudon February 26, 2018

Hello,
I would like to find a solution to manage sub-projects in JIRA.

In my company, we have one JIRA project per departement : Support, Product, Marketing
Each JIRA project need to manage sub-projects. A sub-project can go from 3 days to 1-2 years.

We are on JIRA Server and use the Structure plugin. We want to move to JIRA Cloud, but Structure is not available on JIRA Cloud.

I don't think I'm the only one with this need, am I?
What are the best practices with JIRA (Cloud) to manage small sub-projects, how do you do that? How does product company deal with them?

Do they all create JIRA project even for a two days initiative?
What plugin could help me on JIRA Cloud?

Thanks in advance for your help

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2018

Almworks are working on Structure for Cloud, I understand it's in Beta already.

I'm sure they'll be able to tell you more!

Adrien Gaudon February 26, 2018

Thank you Nic, i didn't know that. But do you think that everybody in a similar situation should be using Structure, that it is the only option available?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2018

It's the only one I've run into that enables you to pretend there are heirarchies like sub-projects.  Most Jira users don't use sub-projects though, and when they need project planning, reach for Portfolio or Big Picture. 

Structure is good at what it does, but I've seen it all-to-often abused - people building complex hierarchies beyond project/issue/sub-task, and then complaining that they can't find anything or report properly in Jira.  By all means, use it, but don't let it get out of hand.

Suggest an answer