Manage development of shared components

Mike Kondrashin October 15, 2019

We develop and maintain internally several extensions, that are used across multiple client projects in our organisation. Each client project has a project in Jira and new requests are logged as tickets under those projects.

What I want to achieve however is to have a separate project per extension to manage the extension releases, but somehow collate that extension-related tickets from various client projects. What is the best way to do this? I understand that components are not shared across projects, so that's not an option?

1 answer

0 votes
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2020

Hi @Mike Kondrashin ,

there are 2 ways I can think of.

1. Use one Jira project for your multiple client projects and use label or components to differentiate between the clients.

You can create multiple boards based on client filter if you want to manage these separately.

And you wouldn't need to share components and releases across the projects anymore.

I can imagine that in larger scale this might become a bit messy (reports generated per project, big backlog..)

2. Use multiple projects and share releases and components

You can still split projects per client and then create components and releases in those projects. By default in Jira you can't create cross-project releases or components but there are 2 workarounds...

a. Manually keep components and releases in sync

- create component/release with the same name in the projects you need. If you need to do some changes to these components, do a manual update in required projects.

b. Keep components and releases in sync using the app from Atlassian marketplace

- there are apps that will allow you to create components and releases in multiple projects at once and keep them in sync in case of any changes.

- we developed apps that allow you to do this for Jira releases 👉 Swanly

- and also for Jira Components 👉 Octo

I would suggest to think how big your Jira projects can get, how many cross-project components you would need to manage and do the decision based on that.

Suggest an answer