Making "Linked issue" field as mandatory while transition

sanjay_sapra February 3, 2021

Team , I want to make "Linked issue " as validator/condition so that before moving the ticket from open to In progress , all should link the issue . 

I have done through validator "Field is mandatory option" but that showing only custom field . 

Can anyone suggest on this.

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2021

Hi @sanjay_sapra 

I don't believe this is possible natively; you'd need an app to extend the functionality of validators to linked issues - such as Jira Misc Workflow Extensions

Check out more options for workflow enhancing apps on the Marketplace :)

Ste

sanjay_sapra February 3, 2021

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_  plz try to provide some free option . because given extension is paid 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2021

Hi @sanjay_sapra 

I'm not sure if this will fulfil your needs, but you could check out Workflow Rules Lite which I found on the Marketplace.

Alternatively, you can search the Marketplace for other free apps. After searching for keywords, choose to only show "Free" results from the left-hand Filter By menu.

Ste

Like Mark Hostetler likes this
sanjay_sapra March 2, 2021

Can anyone help me on this .

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2022

I can confirm JMWE does have a linked issues validator.
Here is the documentation about it.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2021

Hello @sanjay_sapra,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

When using Validators on the workflow, the only option to force Linked Issues to be modified during a transition is the Field has been modified Validator.

I tested here and it works. So please, add that validator for the Linked issue on the desired transition and make sure that the transition has a screen and the Linked issue field is on the screen. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 11.39.21.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 11.28.24.png

Note that, this validator is to modify the field. So, even if there are already linked issues to the ticket, it will be necessary to modify the field.

If you don’t want the behavior mentioned, then it will be necessary to use an add-on as Stephen mentioned.

Please, take your time to test and let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Angélica

sanjay_sapra March 2, 2021

Hello @Angélica Luz  I have tried to test with given steps still not able to move the ticket to done status from DO  (Linked issue has been added in given ticket.Validator check.JPGError message.JPG). Attached snap shot .

Can you suggest /help on this . 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2021

Hi @sanjay_sapra,

It’s necessary to add a screen to the transition, so when you select the status, it will open the screen and that’s where you can update the field for the transition to work.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 17.17.22.png

With this said, go to the workflow again, click on the transition and select Edit to select a Screen. Please, make sure that this screen has the Linked issues field.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 17.20.28.png

Like Tarik Ljouad likes this
sanjay_sapra March 3, 2021

@Angélica Luz  I have done the same changes and working fine . But still having some queries .

1) If someone added linked issue in starting transition . then why new pop up screen coming and showing error for linked issue missing .

Attached snap shot will provide more clarity .Validator check.JPGnew window.JPGLinked issue.JPG

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2021

Hi @sanjay_sapra,

That’s expected, because the validator is “Field has been modified”, so even if there is a linked issue already, the user that is transitioning will have to update the Linked issues field. 

In this case, it’s necessary to change the error message that you added to the validator so it will be more clear for the user. 

That's the only option to use a validator for linked issues without using an add-on.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events