Make Xray fields as mandatory

Malik Jamal April 25, 2022

Hello All, I'm using Xray test management, and I'm facing some cases when my team forgets to add test execution to a test plan or even add a test environment to the test execution, so I'm wondering if there is any way to make these fields as mandatory before closing the test execution? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2022

Hi @Malik Jamal 

As you mentioned "before closing the test execution" --> does "closing" in this case mean when the test execution is transitioned to a special workflow status (eg. Done, Closed, ...) ?

If so I would suggest to add a validation in the workflow so the issue could only be transitioned to this status when the mentioned fields are filled.

Hope I got your requirement right and this helps. In case there are further questions please let me and the community know ;)

Best
Stefan

Malik Jamal April 26, 2022

Hi @Stefan Salzl 
Thanks a lot for your answer, 
but the issue is that I can't find these 2 fields, "Test Plan" and "Test environment" maybe because it Xray fields even I can't find it in the custom fields list.
Check the attached Screenshots 
Plans.pngJira.png

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2022

Hi @Malik Jamal 

oh...got you 🙄🙈 could be because xray issues are not native jira. 

I‘ll double check this in regards of screens/screen schemes and get back to you soon.

Best
Stefan

Malik Jamal April 26, 2022

@Stefan Salzl 
Thanks man, appreciate it a lot 

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2022

Hi @Malik Jamal ,

Unfortunately I don´t have any better news :-/  

According to xray documentation it is possible to use some of its custom fields though Test Plan & Test Environment are not one of them.

I tried to configure some different screens/screen scheme or work with transition view/screen but wasn´t able to add the xray specific field :/

I can´t ensure 100% but I guess scriptrunner could solve this (in case this plugin is installed in your instance).

Best
Stefan

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2022

BTW @Malik Jamal :

awesome beard 👌🙌😊

Like Malik Jamal likes this
Malik Jamal April 27, 2022

@Stefan Salzl 
Thank you for the time and the effort you took on this matter much appreciate it man.
and I like your beard also. I wish mine looked that good 😊👌👌

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2022

You are welcome 🙌 

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2022

Hi @Malik Jamal 

in case your question is answered please consider to click the accept button in order to mark this case as solved and make it easier to find for other community members with similar requirements.

Best
Stefan

Ricardo Marques August 30, 2022

Hi @Stefan Salzl  and apologies in advance if I'm hijacking the thread but it seems relevant.

Can you please let me know if the following would be possible using Xray and Jira Cloud?

I want to prevent moving an Xray Test type issue, from let's say To Do to In Use, if there are no Xray Preconditions or if that test is not included in an Xray Test Set.

Thanks in advance!

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2022

Hi @Ricardo Marques ,

First of all unfortunately (as far as I know both tools) this can not be achieved via built in functionality.

But (just a guess): I can imagine this could be done with some more development effort using API calls and/or Scriptrunner (in case scriptrunner plugin is installed).

Best
Stefan

Like Ricardo Marques likes this
Ricardo Marques August 31, 2022

Thank you @Stefan Salzl  . It's a shame that isn't supported. Xray's integration with Jira is quite good overall but there are a couple of things that would make it even greater.

Just to confirm, Xray fields that you mentioned in a comment above where you say:

According to xray documentation it is possible to use some of its custom fields though Test Plan & Test Environment are not one of them.

are only the Begin and end Dates, and the Revision?

the documentation isn't exactly clear to me.

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2022

Hi @Ricardo Marques 

As I am not an XRAY employee/engineer I can´t confirm this 100%. I only see the same documentation :-/ In this case I would recommend to contact XRAY vendor support directly. They are quite eager to help.

Furthermore you could try by your own by checking which fields you can see in the workflow editor if you add a validator for a transition.

Best
Stefan

Ricardo Marques September 1, 2022

No problem @Stefan Salzl , I wasn't aware of this.

I will do just that, thank you very much once again for your help!!

Have a nice day

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 1, 2022

@Ricardo Marques 

you are welcome. It‘s my pleasure ;)

Best
Stefan

Like Ricardo Marques likes this

Suggest an answer