Make Story Point not mandatory

Hugo Borda October 10, 2019

We are using Jira cloud,  set up a few kanban boards and we do not have the need to use story points field.  What is the best way to stop making this field mandatory? We eliminate it from "Fields", it no longer displays but we can't create task since it looks like the workflow needs it.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2019

Hi @Hugo Borda

Story points isn't usually mandatory by default - here's a few things you can check if you're a Site Admin

Workflow:

• Go to Settings (cog icon in lower-left of navigation bar) > Issues > Workflows
  • Find the workflow for your project / issue type - and press Edit
  • Select the transition 'Create' - from the grey start circle to your first status
  • Select Validators
  • Ensure there are no validators for field population - such as "Field Required"

Field Configuration:

• Go to Settings > Issues > Field Configurations
  • Locate the field configuration for your project; if you're unsure which one it is, go to your Project Settings to check
  • Find the field "Story Points" and check it isn't marked as Required. If it is marked as this - it will have required written next to the field name, and a hyperlink named "Optional" on the far-right of the row, to turn it back to non-mandatory

^ Let us know if either of these work. If not, what error message does it provide you if you try to create an issue without story points?

Ste

Valentina Pfeiffer July 26, 2021

This worked for me, thank you! 

Just as a small note of feedback, I did find it confusing that the "Optional" link you mentioned is an action (i.e. mark as optional), not the current status (i.e. currently optional). It's grouped with other actions, and that's the name of the category, but I accidentally misconfigured my boards several times because of this. 

Thank you again for the answer, @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ !

Ģirts Mazais December 2, 2021

Actually, I come on bit other but the same problem. In one of our projects, we decided not to use story points. Removed it from all screens, but when a new issue is being to be created, it requires estimating a value for story points. 

Suggest an answer