Make Required Field Optional

Eudora_Linde January 27, 2020

I would like to make user stories and/or the "testing required" fields optional, and not required in our ticket workflow. I've been clicking around quite a bit in Jira, and can't ascertain how to complete this - or if it's even possible. Please advise.

2 answers

0 votes
Lenin Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2020
0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2020

Hi Eudora,

there are two common ways of making fields required. One way is to make a field always required using field configurations:

Or you can make fields required in a specific transition (and don't forget to put them on a screen displayed when transitioning the issue if people should be able to provide a value).

But you talk about it always being required, right?

Best, Max

Eudora_Linde January 27, 2020

Hey Max,

So, they're not required fields when a ticket is created, but they are required fields later in the lifespan of a ticket (i.e. when a ticket changes to a certain status, the user story is required). I would like to make it not so. 

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2020

Okay, that's the second way I mentioned in my post. You will have to take a look at the workflows associated with the issue type in the project. Search the specific transition and have a look at the configured validators. There will most likely be a "Field required" validator configured for the field.

Suggest an answer