Make Environment field required for one project?

Richard Pawson May 1, 2019

I'm trying to make a field set to required for a single project, I've done this before for custom fields. I have made the project it's own field configuration scheme. It's associated to a screen. I think everything is set up correctly, or perhaps I'm skipping a step. environment-field.PNG

So this global field "environment" associated to other projects, if I make it required, am I also making it required for other projects? I would like to prevent this from happening, I was under the impression that these fields are independent once a new Field Configuration Scheme is made (long story). 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2019

Hi Richard,

You should be able to set Environment as mandatory for just one project by setting the field as required in the field configuration associated to that one project. E.g.:

1) Check the field configuration scheme for the project where you want the field mandatory. E.g, my project is Carlos classic project:

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 5.09.36 PM.png

2) Click on the field config scheme and check the different 'field configuration' associated to the issue types. E.g., if I want to make 'environment' mandatory for issue type 'task', I'll check the field configuration linked to 'default'. Click on the field configuration for 'default':

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 5.21.05 PM.png

3)Look for 'environment' and make it required. Make sure that this configuration field is shared by one project only (your project), otherwise you may make it mandatory for other projects:

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 5.23.51 PM.png

4) Voila. Now it's mandatory for a task in 'Carlos Classic Project':

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 5.26.09 PM.png

...but not for a task in 'Carlos Test Project':

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 5.26.26 PM.png

Hope it helps,

Carlos

Richard Pawson May 2, 2019

Thank you, Carlos! This worked. I was somehow neglecting to change the default in Step 2. Thanks so much!

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2019

You're welcome, Richard. I'm glad this helped! :-)

Teressa Reed November 10, 2020

How do you make a global field that exists in multiple projects required for only one project, e.g., Root Cause. When I follow the steps above, it updates all field configurations associated with the field.

Richard Pawson November 10, 2020

Hi Teressa, 

When following the steps above, double check to make sure you're editing the field configuration scheme for the one (single) project. When you're in the project's field configuration scheme, there should be a notation at the top saying 'Shared by 1 project' and it'll show you the project name if you hover over it.

A lot of people accidentally change the global/default scheme and all the field configurations get updated. That was my worry too!

fcs.PNG

Teressa Reed November 10, 2020

Ah - I didn't realize you couldn't have any global field configs in the project's config scheme. That's what was throwing it off.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer