Major incident vs Problem clarification

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2021

Dear all,

I have a scenario for which it brings confusion sometime and would like to get your opinion on it.

Basically the scenario is that a users submit incidents from a service desk portal.
Then when SD team notice that more that one incident could potentialy have the same root cause, we create a Major Incident to which we link suspected common incident.
I think this what opsgenie provides if I remember well, correct ?

Question 1 : 
As the major incident became the master source linked to child incident, in our process when the major incident is complete, then we automatically close as well related child incident. Does the closing of incidents link when major incident gets close is a correct process according to your experience ?

Question 2 : 

As we can link incidents to Major incident we are then operating a kind of Major incident management, but then at which phase a so call Problem is create ? Some companies might create problem as part of major Incident process for simplification

Thanks for sharing your sight

regards

1 answer

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2021

@serge calderara

You are correct about question #1. When a major incident is closed, you can close all linked incidents.

According to Atlassian

So, what constitutes a major incident? A major incident is an emergency-level outage or loss of service.

Typically, a problem is created when one or more incident is occurring with an unknown cause. A major incident might end up generating a problem, especially if it's a recurring incident.

Suggest an answer