Maintain column order for other users in a shared filter with Jira OnDemand

Stephanie Redmon May 1, 2014

I have a private filter with a specific set of columns and a specific column order. I am using OnDemand Jira and want to make sure other users see the same set of columns and the column order. When I shared the filter with a co-worker and she clicked on the link to view it showed her the search results with a different set of columns. The second issue I'm having is that when I go to Issues/Manage Filters and I select the gear icon next to the filter it lets me select to share the filter with groups/jira users but no one can see it and when I go back to manage filters it still says private next to the filter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2014

For the first one, you can set the columns and their order on a filter and save it with the filter. The trick here is understanding that every user has their own settings on the issue navigator and when you are creating the filter, it's actually just looking through your current settings. Once you have saved and named the filter, you will find you have an extra option on the cog at the top right for "set *filter* columns" rather than just "set display columns" (which is still there and refers to your personal default columns)

Once you've saved the fields on a filter, then when anyone follows a link to the filter, they will get the columns you saved for the filter. But, they can always use their own (they can't change your settings, just choose to ignore the filter settings)

On the second one, it seems that screen confuses a lot of people - you can't just select the gear icon and go through the screen - it might LOOK like it's added "everyone" or "jira users" or something automatically, but that's just the option - you still have to physically choose to add the group AND select save...

Hi Nic

I went to the filter and clicked on the columns dropdown at the top right of the filter results page and selected 'Filter' instead of 'My Defaults' made sure my columns were good and saved it. When I shared it with my coworker she saw her own defaults. When she clicked on Columns the 'filter' option was grayed out. For the second option I selected the group and added it and hit save. It looks like it's saving as the screen refreshes but it still says private.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2014

Ok, it really does sound like it's not saving the order settings at all. Could you try another test - save the columns on the filter, then make sure your navigator settings are clearly different, then log out, log in again and go to the filter - is it showing your navigator settings or the filter ones? And does it look like it's definitely saved the filter columns?

Ok this was completely user error. You were right I thought I was adding by selecting group and selecting jira-users but I didn't actually hit the 'add' icon. Once I did that I could share the filter and then people saw the colum order. Thank you thank you thank you for your help!!!!

Ok I can change my personal column view and when I search for issues I see the new view I just created. Then when I go back to the filter I see the columns that were saved with the filter. I then tried to share the filter by hitting share and emailing it to a co-worker and he only sees his default view when he selects column view the 'filter' option is grayed out. Maybe the fact taht I am unable to make it a public filter is causing the problem.

1 vote
Katy Šrámková May 23, 2018

I had similar problem and seems finally solved. I wanted to set filter columns for other users and I don't have any columns settings option under the filter cog in list view or "Manage filters" options. When I clicked on "Filter" in the "Columns" search box nothing much actually happened. Also the button next to the filter name was only "Save as", not "Save" when I changed the columns.
Solution that worked for me:

- In filter list view go to "Columns" and switch from "My Default" to "Filters" (ignore that nothing really happened)
- change search criteria (for example in advanced mode I changed "order by" clause)

- hit "Save" button next to the filter name

(- if needed, change the search criteria back and save again)

Tomasz Czernecki June 27, 2019

Katy's suggestion worked for me perfectly.  I switched the button to "Filter" in the "Columns" search box, added an empty space to the end my search so that I'd get a 'Save' instead of 'Save As' button, refreshed the search, then clicked Save.  The user I was sharing the filter with, who previously did not get my predefined column order, now gets the right order when he opens the filter.  Thank you all!

Like MWaldron2 likes this

Suggest an answer