Mail Handler query in jira

Neeta Dubey February 6, 2014

Hi,

I have a mail handler configure in a such a way that it create the ticket/update comment via email however in a particular project we have couple of issue types. At the moment mail handler creates ticket only for one issue type which is associated to that project however is a way i can use the same mail handler to create ticket via email for other issue types- just by mentioning the issue type is just line? Is this cusotmisible as per our requirement?

3 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2014
I assume by "not using downloaded" means you are using OnDemand. One prerequisite of JEMH is "not OnDemand"...
0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2014

Yep, JEMH can do that in a couple of ways:

1. Manual. You can setup JEMH to allow users to tweak issues (during create, comment, or both), through whitelisted and/or blacklisted fields such as 'issueType'. An example 'subject' format would be:

Subject: My subject #issueType=task

This works but requires users to get the right data there.

2.Auto. JEMH has a Project Mapping feature that allows a set of 'rules' to run against inbound messages. If they match, the Projet Mapping is applied, and will therefore include a subset of values such as issueType. In fact, Rules themselves also allow a set of similar fields to be defined so customized issue creation is possible on a rule by rule basis, for example:

Domain rules: incoming (mailbox address) or sender address

Group rules: the sender address is assoc with a JIRA user in group X

Keyword rules: Eg subject based, can be content based. Can be useful in limited fasion, eg 'support' or similar.

More on Project Mappings @ https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JEMH/Use+Project+Mappings

Sreedhar Boggarapu February 25, 2014

Andy, I tried to search for JEMH plugin on my JIRA instance. But the the search is not brining up any results. I am not using downloaded JIRA. Does it have any dependency?Please advice. I greatly appreciate your help.

Sreedhar Boggarapu February 25, 2014

thanks Andy for your response!

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2014

You're 'currently' out of luck. There is work in progress to provide a starting point for JEMH OnDemand, expect a beta in the next few month or two.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2014

No, the default mail handlers cannot do this, unless you set up two different mail boxes.

You'll need to find/write a more clever mail-handler (look for JEMH is the standard advice here) or do something sneaky in the mailserver (once we set up a script that sorted incoming email into several boxes so Jira thought it had several incoming email addresses)

Suggest an answer