Magento Web Shop Project - Agile Scrum Methodology

Filip Radulović December 11, 2018

Dear Community,

Our Company uses Agile Scrum methodology to lead many different IT projects and we are very satisfied with the level of quality and customer satisfaction we obtain. Internally, teams have their tasks broken down in backlog to tasks with an average duration of 3h, and max 5h. We organize them in sprints and we successfully work this way.

PROBLEM:

We would like to apply this methodology to our Magento team but hit the wall in the planning period. There are chunks of work predefined for Magento Web Shops that are hard to break down to smaller tasks. As a PM I trust my teams' feedback and would not like to argue this technical point of view. But, I would like to consider a workaround on how to tackle this problem and break down the work without breaking the process.

Any advice is valuable and I thank you in advance for it!

Filip.

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2018

Dear @Filip Radulović,

its hard to give you any useful advice without knowing the team and the requirements.

I recommend to start a retrospective on that particular problem to gain insights. A good format could be the Force Field Analysis. Ask one of your Scrum Masters (best for neutral moderation) to help here.

So long

Thomas

Filip Radulović December 13, 2018

Thank you for the link Thomas, it is very insightful for future work. I may use it as a reference. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be applicable in our particular case as we are facing a challenge that all team members can not overcome.

Basically, we have one chunk of a task to do that takes 50 hours and is not really breakable. Therefore, I am thinking of 'breaking' it into smaller subtasks constrained by days in a week. Eg. Monday 4h of work on it, Tue 2h, Wed 3h etc. This might be a solution to actively track progress and delegate work among team members.

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2018

Don't make the mistake, that you decide for the team. Suggest your idea to the team and let them decide.

Like Filip Radulović likes this

Suggest an answer