Loop through multi-select checkboxes to parse values

Steve Fitzgerald May 6, 2022

I'm trying to parse a multi-select checkbox field that results in a Smart Checklist using the values from the multi-select checkbox.

I can probably do this using automation, but the permutations are sufficient enough that I would think there is a better way to do it. 

I'm getting stuck on how to loop through the values then put them into the automation to create the Smart Checklist.

Any suggestions?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Julia Romanenkova_Railsware_ May 9, 2022

Hi Steve! I’m not sure that I’m following your use case completely. Do you want to create a checklist based on the values in Jira’s multi select custom field? An example of the flow that you want to automate would be helpful! Thanks

Steve Fitzgerald May 9, 2022

That's correct. I would a like a checklist based on the values in Jira's multi-select custom field.

Flow Example
- Multi-select custom field contains Addresses Don't Match,DBA Required

- Smart Checklist

- Address verification documentation

- DBA documentation

There are 8 options which could result in multiple permutations of items on the checklist. 

Hope this makes sense. 

Julia Romanenkova_Railsware_ May 9, 2022

Thank you for the example, it's clear now. I think the most straightforward option is to set an automation rule per each combination, like here:Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 18.34.52.png

If you happen to find a more elegant solution, please let us know 🙂

Steve Fitzgerald May 10, 2022

Thank you. This is the approach I was taking. I was hoping that there was a more elegant approach, but this works as well.

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2022

Hi @Steve Fitzgerald 

An indirect question - why? What's the need?

There's options with Smart Checklist to set templates and have them set through Automation which would seem simpler, depending on the scenario :)

Ste

Steve Fitzgerald May 9, 2022

Thanks for mentioning the templates. I could go that route as well I suppose, but giving the permutations I was hoping there was a simpler way of generating the checklists.

I have 8 values to choose from with 1-3 selected at a time. If this is the best option I can spend some time making it work. 

Suggest an answer