Looking for jql to display stories that do not have subtasks of type - "test"

suhaim abdussamad November 16, 2014

Hi 

I am trying to use jql to display only stories that do not have tests as subtasks for it. I am having trouble figuring out how to get it to show subtasks in general. Any helpful links etc would be appreciated. 

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2014

Suhaim, you can user Script Runner to run something like this:

issueFunction in subtasksOf("project = XX AND issuetype = Task AND status = Closed") and issuetype != test

See more advanced JQL you can use with this free plugin: https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Scripted+JQL+Functions

Hi Peter - appreciate the answer, it is close to what I want. With this, it displays the tasks, is there a way for it to display Stories that have subtasks of issueType != test ?

Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2014

You should change it to: issueFunction in subtasksOf("project = XX AND issuetype = Story) and issuetype != test

It returns tasks, bugs, etc of these stories, could I get it to return just the stories?

Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 16, 2014

Seems like I've missed one " just before ). Please add a " just after the word Story

I added that, I think I am not explaining this properly, when I use this, what is returned is a list of subtasks etc of the stories. Not the story itself. I want a list of stories that has subtasks ! = test

Asael Sepúlveda November 16, 2014

Do you need it as a filter for a gadget? If not, you could get that information with the Jira API. Can you provide more context for how you want to use the data? may be there is a workaround

Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2014

Got you, Suhaim. Use this: issueFunction in parentsOf("project = xx and issuetype!=test") and issuetype = story

Megha Malhotra July 1, 2016

hey Peter/Suhaim

Did your query work?I have to do exact same thing, find stories without test sub-task in it, I used this:

issueFunction in parentsOf("project =XXX and issuetype!=Test sub-task") and issuetype = Story,

this doesnt bring back Stories without test sub-task.

Any help is appreciated

Anup John September 27, 2017

Hey Guys,

This JQL works for me.

project in ("XXX") AND Sprint in openSprints() AND type = Story AND NOT issueFunction in parentsOf("type = \"Test Case Sub-task\"")

Thanks.

0 votes
Sam Allen July 26, 2018

try this:

issueFunction not in hasLinkType(Test) AND type = story 

returns all tickets of type Story that are not linked to a Test 

gotteneder January 5, 2021

Hello Sam!

I tried yours but don't get a proper result.

My try...

project = "NOVOSAP PROD" AND component != TM AND issuetype in (Story) AND status not in ("UAT Released", Closed, Descoped, "descoped by requester") AND Sprint not in ("novosap prod sprint 99") AND issueFunction in hasLinkType(Test) ORDER BY due ASC

... results in: Could not find any issue link type with name: Test. Available link types are: Blocks, Cloners, Dependency , Duplicate, Epic-Story Link, Foundation duplicate , Issue split, Parent-Child Link, Parent/Child, Problem/Incident, Process Link, Relates, Sequence

Any idea?

regards Günter

0 votes
Amit Namdhari May 23, 2018

Solution without a plugin.

Use below query as a Quick Filter from the Board Configuration.

issueFunction not in hasSubtasks() AND issuetype != Sub-task

It will sort out every story which has No or Zero sub-tasks.

Suggest an answer