Lock down Service Desk Project Queues.

Shane Trumbull January 24, 2020

Hello,

Our organization currently has Service Desk in place and a project created for our IT department. This project has many queues due to the the many different teams we have in our IT department. All assigned Service Desk Team Members to this project are assigned to different queues depending on their role within the department. Each assigned Team Member can see all queues within this project even though they live in different queues.

We are possibly looking at bringing Maintenance into Service Desk. Can we create them a Maintenance queue, add their Team Members to that queue, but lock them down so they can only see their queue and not all IT queues as well? Or would it be best to create a new Maintenance project?

Thank you,

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2020

Hi @Shane Trumbull ,

You pose an interesting question and there really isn't a wrong way to do it. Both ways you suggest are viable but to fully implement the role based visibility of your first suggestion, you could get part of the way there with factory supplied functionality but might have to buy a plugin like Queues for Jira Service Desk to manage wholly.

So, if you want to keep it there and not spend $, you could:

1. Toss out all queues that show unassigned tickets and/or assign to a single triage person to assign to a human.
  2. Make new queues for assignees and/or groups by setting visibility to where the JQL would be assignee = currentUser() or "Request Participants" = currentUser()

That way they would only see stuff they should. Perhaps you could have a post function on create that conditionally sets the values based on Customer Request Type.

All that said, I have a similar situation where Maintenance is part of Office Services (like ordering office supplies, shipping requests, etc). I made them a separate project. Currently the workflows and the like are shared. However, by separating them, I was able to make portals that are tailored to the function of the group getting the requests as well as screens, etc, that are meaningful to that set of functions.

Either work. I would, however, tend to go the second way as it keeps a single project from getting to be too much of a lumbering beast. Also, it leaves you a bit freer to have them functionally different without them tripping over each other.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Nich Hogue
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2020

I've had to handle a similar situation in the past where a team wanted to join in to an existing service desk but have their tickets be private from the rest of the project. There are some ways to handle it like Mike mentioned. One we tried to put in place was using issue security to help exclude. But that has too much human error for the sensitivity of their requests. It was internal investigations under the Infosec umbrella.

So I'd have to piggy back off Mike's suggestion and say just setup a new project for them. Even if you were to exclude them out on the queue level this wouldn't lock them out of the tickets. A simple JQL or putting a dashboard gadget in that shows a project would open up everything else. Having them in their own space where they have access, and the others do not is the best way to help keep things isolated.

Just a suggestion.

Shane Trumbull January 27, 2020

Mike, Nich

Thank you for your feedback on my question.

We are opting to create a new project for our Maintenance department.

We agree, will be able to tailor it as needed and much more manageable.

Take care,
Shane

Like Nich Hogue likes this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2020

Glad we could help. 

Like Shane Trumbull likes this

Suggest an answer