List of users with the last time a Jira server user was active

Chris Shepherd March 22, 2023

We have an instance of Jira that has been in use for over 20 years,  and as you can imagine over that time it has collected a lot of user accounts.  I need to tidy these up but it seems a lot of our users never log in, preferring to mail in to jira.

Consequently, most user management tools don't help us as they only show the last login time.

Does anyone have a script that will list users with the last time they added a comment or created an issue?  or is this just too hard to get out of Jira ?

1 answer

0 votes
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

Hi @Chris Shepherd

I don't have a complete script, but an idea how you could possibly achieve that. You might know that Jira has activity streams which show all recent activity on a global level or per project. It's also possible to filter the stream by a username.

You can do so via

YOUR_JIRA_URL/activity?streams=user+IS+YOUR_USERNAME

You might be able to create a script which iterates over all your users and calls this endpoint to determine their last activity. If you have DB access, you should probably also get the data from there, but I'm no expert for the various DB tables.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Chris Shepherd April 4, 2023

Thanks Matthias,

I couldn't quite get anywhere with that approach,  I was probably misisng a trick.

In the end I wrote a c# program that took a list of users generated by Microoscope and issued the following 3 JQLs against each one:

$"issuekey in updatedBy(\"{userId}\", -90d) ORDER BY updated DESC";
$"assignee = \"{userId}\" AND assignee changed after startOfYear() ORDER BY updated DESC";
$"reporter = \"{userId}\" ORDER BY updated DESC";
then took the updated date for the first record returned from each one and droped them into a spreadsheet.  We could then use that to decide who to deactivete.

thanks for your help though
Chris
Like Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ likes this
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

Thank you for sharing you solution.

Suggest an answer