List of standard fields

Aude RIVIERE April 12, 2016

Hy,

Where can I find the list of all the standard fields with a description and a format ?

Thank you

6 answers

6 votes
Richard Wilhite December 20, 2017

Maybe this will help:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver071/advanced-searching-800707146.html

scroll down to :

Reference

In the table, you'll see  

>Show list of fields

Open it and there are the standard fields useable by JQL.

Neal

3 votes
David Brown February 7, 2020

Is there any documentation that shows the definitions of each field (not custom fields, but "out of the box" Jira fields) along with an explanation of how they are to be used?

2 votes
Nikola Bornová November 27, 2018

Check this page for Jira 7.12 - Advanced searching - fields reference

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2016

What do you mean by "standard fields"?  The system ones that are built into JIRA and Software?

Aude RIVIERE April 12, 2016

I mean the field like resolution date or created date for example.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2016

Do you mean the ones that are built in then?

Like Kirill Roshchupkin likes this
0 votes
Alex F March 2, 2021

I believe the most complete list of standard fields for Jira Cloud can be found here.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2016

If you have the correct permission, Custom Fields are in the "Administration Screen (cogwheel gear icon) > Issues > Custom Fields" on the left side of the screen. Some of the System Fields are on these screen to (take a look at the tabs on the left side again).

Stephen Kairys April 4, 2018

I'm not an Admin, but I'm providing feedback to someone who's creating a JIRA project for our bug/suggestion tracking.  Some fields I'd like to have are missing and it would be great to view a user guide or equivalent that would list all the fields that can be implemented for a JIRA ticket.

Does such an entity exist?Thanks. Using JIRA Server.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2018

You can define whatever fields you want for Jira issues - that's what custom fields are for.

For a list of the built-in "system" fields, see Richard's link below - there's a table part way down with a line "fields" that expands to show the system fields that are always there (but can be ignored or hidden if you want)

Like # people like this
Stephen Kairys April 5, 2018

Oh, this is great.  Thank you!  Now, for the next question. I want to use the TYPE field to record whether this issue is a Bug, Suggestion, etc. How can I find out if it supports a pulldown menu. We need the following values:

• Bug
  • Suggestion
  • Display (e.g. typo on screen, text hard to read, etc.)
  • Tooltip
  • Data

Can we define them? Or are the values pre-defined?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2018

What "type" field? 

If you mean "issue type", look at, and amend, the project's "issue type scheme"

If you just have a "Type" field, then that is a custom field, and you need to go to Admin -> custom field -> "Type" -> Configure, where you can amened the list.

I suspect you mean the first though.

Nic,

I'm referring to the TYPE field in the list you referenced earlier. It's there, so why would it be considered a custom field?

I don't see ISSUE TYPE on that list. And, where can I amend the "issue type scheme".

To be sure we're on the same page, here's a partial screenshot of the list I've been perusing...

Thanks.

JIRA Fields Reference Page.PNG

Like # people like this

And to further clarify, here's the analogous field in Atlassian's own JIRA for Confluence Server.

ExampleOfTypeFieldFromAtlassianJIRA.png

Like mbp@goldwinddenmark.com likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2018

This is one of the times where language and jargon make things a bit more fuzzy than they should (which is a reason I complain when people use jargon, buzzwords and business-speak, all it does is obscure meaning)

Atlassian are inconsistent in the display of "Issue Type".  In this case, "type" does definitely mean "Issue Type".  Most of the inconsistency is down to screen space - "issue type" is long, compared with an icon.

So, it is clear we are talking about the "system" issue types now, so we need to look at the issue type scheme for the project.  You should just go to the project admin and look for the issue types in use there.

Like # people like this

OK. Turns out my people added a field for Bug/Suggestion/etc. and it is called Type.

And agreed on the confusion with the terminology/inconsistency.

No further help needed. Thank you.

Aaron Whigham December 10, 2020

Does Jira Cloud have the same list of Standard fields as Jira Server?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2020

Not quite, but it depends on whether you're on Classic or Next-gen projects.

More important though, where they do differ, it's only on fields that humans don't get to enter directly, so it won't really affect your usage.

Suggest an answer