It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Linking projects

Hi there..

I'm new on Jira....trying to discover how to implement it with the less regret in the future...

For now, I'm stuck with this...

Is there any way to link a project to another project?

Something like parent->child....

We've projects of different products, with diferent issues, versions, etc.......but they can be related to each other.

The only I look for is to know for a project, if it's related to another...... or for a particular project, get a list of his associated.

First thought was create as many components as 'child projects', still have associated issues (to a component)....but lose the release versions for that components/projects......right?

Is there a limit for number of projects?, components?

Thanks,

2 answers

0 votes
Tarun Sapra Community Leader Oct 16, 2016

There is no limit on project and components. In JIRA you can't link projects, thus the best approach is to have components for smaller initiatives, and create a board (Scrum/kanban) wherein you fetch issues from multiple components. 

What do you mean by "but lose the release versions for that components/projects......right?"

As you can have per component boards and make releases exclusively for issues pertaining to that board.

Project categories can help you group your projects together, but there's no real "link"

Hi @Nic Brough {Adaptavist} , is there any update since 2016 on @Blair Rodgers comment below? 

Any other community leaders to assist? 

Thanks! 

Like Blair Rodgers likes this

Hummmm, not ideal. For instance, I’m currently on a project that has 18 seperate mini (For lack of a better word) projects that all run concurrently and not having the ability to make one master and multiple mini projects that link back to the master, it gets very messy and I cannot report easily on the progress of each part of the entire project.

Nope.  Atlassian expect you to do project -> sub-project with components

I also need to be able to link projects, one master project, with many smaller projects that must have separate Jira numbers (prefix), project names but ultimately have a way of linking back to show full view of the entire project and the progress of all of it's mini projects below.

An umbrella project of sorts, with many smaller projects that make up the whole. Lots of moving parts

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Watch Slack + Atlassian's Webinar: “Transform cross-functional collaboration with Slack + Atlassian

Hi Atlassian Community! We recently partnered together with Slack on a webinar, “ Transform cross-functional collaboration with Slack + Atlassian ”. Building fast, growing exponentially: all...

32 views 0 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you