Link Custom field values from google sheet

kolba_gsl_in
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 1, 2024

I have many custom fields in which we capture data set which will help in filtering/identification.

One of the field is "Business account" which will have Customer names tagged to it. We will have more than 1000 values in this list and list will keep on updating with time. So want to maintain the list of values in google sheet and link it with the custom field in JIRA so that the multi select field becomes dynamic and values are derived from google sheet. 

This will ease our process and will not need to input such huge number of values manually.

2 answers

0 votes
Thomas Opiolka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2024

Hi @kolba_gsl_in ,

If you're looking to automate this process, consider utilizing the third-party app "External Data for Jira Fields." This app enables you to synchronize external values with a native Jira select list. By connecting to a Google Sheet as a data source, you can use the Field Options Sync use case to streamline the process periodically.

Please remember, the marketplace offers additional options that might suit your needs, which you can find through a search. I should also mention that I am collaborating with the vendor of the app I recommended.

I hope this is helpful.
Best regards,
Thomas

0 votes
Oday Rafeh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2024

Hi @kolba_gsl_in , 

I think you have 3 ways to achieve this : 

Regular Import (Simple but Manual):

Keep your list in a Google Sheet.
Export the list as a CSV file every few days/weeks (depending on updates).
In Jira, go to project settings > Import & Export > Import Issue Data.
Use the CSV to update the “Business Account” custom field (map the columns correctly).

Third-Party Apps:
Explore apps like JSUIT, Comalate, or Integromat.
These connect Jira and Google Sheets, potentially syncing data and keeping your custom field options dynamic.

Automation with Scripting :
This is about creating a Jira automation rule.
The rule uses a script to access your Google Sheet data (using Google Sheets API).
The script then populates the “Business Account” custom field with the retrieved customer names. 

Best 

Oday 

kolba_gsl_in
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 2, 2024

In Jira, go to project settings > Import & Export > Import Issue Data.

I do not want to update the values against the ideas/issues, infact i want to add values to the custom field so that user who will create an issue/idea afterward can select a value from the custom field.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events