Link Confluence page doesn't work in JIRA, though searching the linked Confluence works

Gravity RD September 26, 2012

Hello!

I've linked our Confluence and JIRA (OAuth, Trusted Application, IP whitelisted, to and fro), from Confluence the JIRA macros work beautifully, I see Confluence edits on my JIRA dashboard's activity stream, however ... I can't add a Confluence page to a JIRA Issue, because I get the: No Confluence page found with the given URL. error message. Both products are hosted on the same server via the standard bundled Tomcat, they listen on different ports and they are both reverse-proxied via nginx (which does SSL termination too), but the Application Links are set up via the direct port numbers and the displayed URL is configured to show the proxied URL. (This URL shows up when I search for a Confluence page in JIRA, I can select it, but linking fails.)

JIRA runs v5.0.x, Confluence is at 4.2.x.

8 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Gavad Khan (PS) October 10, 2012

We have resolved this issue by adding "/display" value in URL pattern (in app-link configuration).

Gravity RD October 10, 2012

I've tried with that, but it made Basic Access unworkable, I was able to enable OAuth, but I still got the same authentication error. (Haven't tried with Trusted App.)

Sebastian Mendel June 12, 2018

To which application link, JIRA link in Confluence or Confluence link in JIRA and where exactly?

Ananias Gutierrez October 5, 2018

i do in jira server to confluence

Radu Biolan April 22, 2019

We have Jira User Directory setup for Confluence

And after adding a Basic Auth security level i had the issue described above.

Addind /display  at the end of the 'Display URL' fixed the issue

4 votes
Laurynas Kavaliauskas September 27, 2012

Confluence converts some charters (apostrophes and etc.) to numbers in wiki page URLs. Jira seems to not work with those links. The workaround so far is to change the title of the wiki page.

For example, if my wiki page title is "Admin's guide" then resulting url will be https://my.company.com/wiki/display/MYPROJECT/Admin%27s+guide. Such URL would throw aforementioned error in Jira. In this scenario we would need to change the title to "Admins guide". The new wiki page URL will work in Jira now.

Gavad Khan (PS) September 30, 2012

We are also facing the similar problem ("No Confluence page found with the given URL") and getting following exception in Confluence logs while linking Confluence pages/blogs into JIRA issues:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2012-10-01 10:51:06,167 INFO [http-8090-10] [confluence.rpc.auth.TokenAuthenticationInvocationHandler] invokeAuthenticatedMethod Executing remote API method [ getSpaces ] as user [ gkhan ]
2012-10-01 10:51:08,408 INFO [http-8090-10] [confluence.rpc.auth.TokenAuthenticationInvocationHandler] invokeAuthenticatedMethod Executing remote API method [ search ] as user [ gkhan ]
2012-10-01 10:51:11,337 WARN [http-8090-10] [auth.trustedapps.filter.TrustedApplicationFilterAuthenticator] authenticate Failed to login trusted application: jira:11124560 due to: com.atlassian.security.auth.trustedapps.InvalidCertificateException: Request not allowed to access URL: /display/PLAYG/2012/09/27/JVM+1.6+Upgrade
2012-10-01 10:51:11,533 WARN [http-8090-13] [auth.trustedapps.filter.TrustedApplicationFilterAuthenticator] authenticate Failed to login trusted application: jira:11124560 due to: com.atlassian.security.auth.trustedapps.InvalidCertificateException: Request not allowed to access URL: /login.action

We are having Apache server in front of JIRA/Confluence applications. We have integrated JIRA with Apache server by using mod_jk connector and for Confluence, we have used mod_proxy.

In addition to this, we have also integrated both applications with Crowd server (SSO enabled) and having same sets of userbase.

JIRA Version - 5.1.2 (Hosted in seperate Tomcat container)

Confluence Version - 4.3.1 (Hosted in separte Tomcat contaner)

Regards,

Gavad

Gavad Khan (PS) September 30, 2012

We are also facing the similar problem ("No Confluence page found with the given URL") and getting following exception in Confluence logs while linking Confluence pages/blogs into JIRA issues:

2012-10-01 10:51:06,167 INFO [http-8090-10] [confluence.rpc.auth.TokenAuthenticationInvocationHandler] invokeAuthenticatedMethod Executing remote API method [ getSpaces ] as user [ gkhan ]
2012-10-01 10:51:08,408 INFO [http-8090-10] [confluence.rpc.auth.TokenAuthenticationInvocationHandler] invokeAuthenticatedMethod Executing remote API method [ search ] as user [ gkhan ]
2012-10-01 10:51:11,337 WARN [http-8090-10] [auth.trustedapps.filter.TrustedApplicationFilterAuthenticator] authenticate Failed to login trusted application: jira:11124560 due to: com.atlassian.security.auth.trustedapps.InvalidCertificateException: Request not allowed to access URL: /display/PLAYG/2012/09/27/JVM+1.6+Upgrade
2012-10-01 10:51:11,533 WARN [http-8090-13] [auth.trustedapps.filter.TrustedApplicationFilterAuthenticator] authenticate Failed to login trusted application: jira:11124560 due to: com.atlassian.security.auth.trustedapps.InvalidCertificateException: Request not allowed to access URL: /login.action

We are having Apache server in front of JIRA/Confluence applications. We have integrated JIRA with Apache server by using mod_jk connector and for Confluence, we have used mod_proxy.

In addition to this, we have also integrated both applications with Crowd server (SSO enabled) and having same sets of userbase.

JIRA Version - 5.1.2 (Hosted in seperate Tomcat container)

Confluence Version - 4.3.1 (Hosted in separte Tomcat contaner)

Regards,

Gavad

2 votes
Logan G Hawkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2012

I found the same behavior with Jira 5.1.8 and Confluence 4.3. I'm using Trusted Applications, no SSL, and the apps are hosted on different servers on different networks with a brobdignabian set of routers, switches and armed guards separating the two. In the end, I was able to fix it with a simple change to the (server level) Application Link. My solution:

1. On the Jira side, open the the Confluence Application Link
  2. Select "Outgoing Application"
  3. Select "Trusted Applications"
  4. Add "/display" (without quotes) to the list of URL Patterns.
Gravity RD November 29, 2012

Thank you for your comment. Next time we tinker with JIRA I'll give this a try again.

Trevor_Horsfall January 7, 2014

Worked perfectly. For those playing along at home, the set of outgoing URL patterns (from JIRA) currently required to get JIRA <-> Confluence integration working is:

• /display
  • /plugins/servlet/applinks/whoami
  • /rpc/xmlrpc
  • /plugins/servlet/streams

And incoming is:

• /plugins/servlet/streams
  • /rest
  • /rpc/soap
  • /sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest
  • /secure/RunPortlet
  • /secure/projectavatar

Edited: to incorporate feedback from Jacob (below)

Taber Loveless
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2014

Current Jira documentation is missing the "/display" url pattern which is required to link to Confluence page via Jira ticket:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA060/Configuring+Trusted+Applications+Authentication+for+an+Application+Link

Jacob Boyko June 26, 2014

Setting the URL patterns as suggested by Trevor Horsfall fixed my application links problem. It was "working" the way it was, but when I installed Team Calendars the JIRA integration didn't work: JIRA Calendars are Not Displayed in Confluence Due to 500 Internal Server Error

However, I also had to add the following URL pattern to Incoming (in JIRA) to allow the "Creat JIRA Issue from selected text" feature in Confluence to retireve the project avatars:

• /secure/projectavatar

I am also using only Trusted Applications for Application Links between Confluence and JIRA, although my instances run on the same server in separate Tomcat containers.

2 votes
Gravity RD October 15, 2012

Long story short, Application Links over HTTPs only works with Basic Authentication.

Gavad Khan (PS) October 16, 2012

This is not a true statement, Application Links over HTTP/S works with both methods (Trusted-apps & Basic Auth).

The only challane, you can face is related to SSL certificates which need to be installed manually in JDK (if already not installed), so that applications can communicate internally each-other over HTTPS.

Gravity RD October 16, 2012

The first thing Atlassian Support asked was to disable Trusted Apps, so .. okay, maybe it works over HTTPS, however, for some reason its use seems to be discouraged.

Thanks for the certificate install tip; let's hope keytool will cooperate.

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2013

not true. trusted apps and oauth bnoth work fine when properly configured.

1 vote
Shawna Schnorr March 8, 2016

We ran into the problem Laurynas mentioned, though in the form of the comma.

• I encourage you to vote for this bug: JRA-47046
  • After JIRA finds the link, you can replace the encoded character %2C with an actual comma, and it will be accepted.
  • The page id form of the URL will work.

Vishakumar Mehta October 27, 2017

I have encountered this problem of having internal server 500 error on Jira 7.0 and Confluence 6.0.2 using OAuth. However, both the solutions mentioned by  Laurynas Kavaliauskas and  Shawna Schnorr working. i.e. either change the page name to remove special characters like , ' which generates URL encoding and causing problem as Null Pointer Exception internally in Jira while linking Confluence Page OR replace the encode value with the characters itself. In my case it was comma, encoded to %2C, which I removed and fixed the issue.

To add, Jira and Confluence both are on https using Crowd managed user access.

0 votes
Sebastian Mendel October 8, 2018

Works for me since latest Jira Server updates.

0 votes
Gavad Khan (PS) October 16, 2012

This is not a true statement, Application Links over HTTP/S works with both methods (Trustes-apps & Basic Auth).

The only challane, you can face is related to SSL certificates which need to be installed manually in JDK (if already not installed), so that applications can communicate internally each-other over HTTPS.

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2012

Hello,

Good to know that you set the application link bypassing nginx. Often proxies causes problems when dealing with application links. So, is the Base URL correctly set in both JIRA and Confluence? You need to set it accordingly to your FQDN (as set in nginx), and not the Base URL from Tomcat. I believe that this is only a simple network issue. :)

In advance, you can have problems when running JIRA and Confluence on the same Tomcat instance. Even on different ports, you may have some problems with shared components (libs and jar files) if JIRA and Confluence are running on the same Tomcat container. Please reffer to this page for more information.

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Gravity RD October 9, 2012

Oh, I haven't noticed your reply, sorry. (I just recently got a remainder of this open question.) Thanks for the time taken, but I'm fairly certain that it's not a network issue. I haven't touched Tomcat config. The URL I use works from any browser, so it's hardly a network issue.

After some communication and debugging with Atlassian, it looks like:

* the Confluence base URL must match the app link URL

* the app link URL can't work over HTTP (at least with 3legged OAuth)

Suggest an answer