Limit the Number of Components per Issue?

Problem: I would like to institute a rule for my teams, "One component per issue", and I do not see a setting, in the administrative section of JIRA, to implement this.

Relevance: Many of our reports look into the breakdown of any given project's work by component, having multiple components per issue can, ever so slightly, misrepresent those reports.

Comments: I know I can skirt around this problem by creating a custom field but, when you are in a JIRA project, it is nice to be able to click on the puzzle icon in the sidebar and view issues by component.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer

If you were on Server, there's a hack you can apply to the field template which converts it to single-select.  (It remains a multiple entry field in every respect, but the users can't put more than one option into it)

Cloud does not support that.  Go with the custom field option (and maybe use components for something else)

Hey Nic,

I really appreciate the response!

That is interesting but alas, my team and I are on Cloud.

Have a great day!

Best,

Dan

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,511 views 15 20
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you