Limit permissions to add items into an Active Sprint

akunati August 24, 2018

I would like to restrict who can add/remove items to/from a Sprint to ensure that only the "Product Owner" can do so and not members (Scrum Team).

I tried restricting "Schedule Issues" Permissions to only Product Owner, but doesn't restrict the rest of the team to add issues to Sprint, as I have given them Edit permissions. 

Any other option to do so?

2 answers

1 vote
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2018

Hi @akunati,

Restricting users from adding/dragging issues into sprints — Only users with the Schedule Issues and Edit Issues Project Permissions can add/drag issues into sprints. If you would like to prevent users from doing this, restrict their Schedule Issues and/or Edit Issues permissions.

akunati August 24, 2018

Hi @Ollie Guan, I observed that unless I restrict users on both - Schedule Issues and Edit Issues, which is not an option as I want the team to be able to edit issues, but not add issues to Sprint.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Regards,

Anvesh

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2018

Hi @akunati,

If you give the user edit permission, but there is no scheduling permission, the user should have the following prompt when operating the sprint.

“You cannot perform this operation because you do not have "Schedule" permission.”

schedule.png

Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2018

JSWSERVER-8964 might be relevant eventually.

akunati August 30, 2018

@Ollie Guan, Unfortunately, just having edit permissions is giving developers ability to add issues to Sprint, we're using JIRA Server (JIRA Software 7.3.3) version. What version is it from above screenshot?

I have tried to manage this using "Manage Sprint" permission also, but no luck.

Any other suggestions?

Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2020

@akunati  There is no  other suggestion,  you need  to vote and wait  for implementation according to Atlassian policy.

Best regards,

Moses

Steve Hodson February 6, 2022

@akunati you can tell everyone not do do it and use an automation to email the product owner (or someone else) if this happens. They can then address manually. https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215460/automation-for-jira-data-center-and-server?tab=overview&hosting=datacenter 

0 votes
sai rohit October 14, 2022

I found one that unchecking the "Edit any due date" will prevent any other user other than admin,member can edit the spring field. Make sure that project is not open and the role should be newly created.

Suggest an answer