Limit external access to some users only

Tristan February 11, 2013

Hello,

We would like to have some external users to use an external access to work on specific project. I can imagine how to do that.

But the tricky part is that we don't want all our internal users to rely on the external access of JIRA.

We want all internal users to use the intranet to access JIRA.

Is it possible to open an external access for some specific users only?

Or is it possible to allow only some projects to be displayed when using external access? (example: user may be able to see more projects if uses the intranet access)?

Thank you, any help appreciated :)

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andris Bērziņš
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2013

Hello,

I'm not sure if this will work or if it's even worth the effort, but I believe it is possible to write custom authenticators for JIRA (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DEV/Single+Sign-on+Integration+with+JIRA+and+Confluence).

In this authenticator, you could check the IP address of the request and if it is not internal, only allow certain users to authenticate. IP address you can get through the HttpServletRequest object that is passed to authentication function:

public boolean login(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response, String username, String password, boolean cookie) throws AuthenticatorException
{
  request.getRemoteAddr();

I'm not sure if there is an easier way to do this.

Tristan February 12, 2013

Thank you Andris,

I will think about this! As you said it may not be worth the effort

Suggest an answer