Limit/Restrict User Browsing

Is it possible to limit user browsing so that a user only can see other users which are in the same group or in a configurable group/groups? We do not want to grant the "Browse Users" global permission so that every user can see every other user for @ mentioning. But without the "Browse Users" global permission the mentioning doesn't work

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes

No, you can't limit the group visibility to "same as me"

Atlassian have not even tried to implement it.  It is a bit of a pain for certain cases, but there's massive logical problems with implementing it.  Off the top of my head:

• The default in JIRA is to have a group for "user can log in".  All (active) users are in it.  So if you were to implement something to do that, everyone would be able to see everyone else because they can all log in.
  • If you split all the groups down, you make a massive group maintenance headache for yourself - you have to micromanage every single group, even to the point of adding a new user meaning you have to go in and remove them from all the default groups
  • You make it almost impossible to manage projects accurately (unless every project is strictly limited to a specific set of groups) because your user fields have two layers of logic in them.  For example, assignee = role X, and then "is in same group as me".  Then you start getting questions like "Why can Alice assign the issue to Bob, but I can't?  Even though I can assign it to Charlie?"
  • User permissions and group management is already a big performance drag on JIRA.  Limiting it more means more load and it's entirely conceivable that you'd cause more performance problems.

I'm sure there's more.
0 votes
Joe Pitt Community Champion Apr 29, 2016

Sort of. You can apply security schemes to issues that limit access. You can setup a default security scheme. Check out https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/configuring-issue-level-security-185729623.html to start.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,968 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot