Lag Time When Typing Comments In Tickets

Denise Medenilla April 9, 2019

Hi Everyone! For the past week or so, my Jira has been especially slow. On top of just a slow interface, moving the tickets around and such, the biggest issue has been typing comments in the tickets on my KanBan Board. I'll type a sentence and then it takes like ten seconds (sometimes even more) before the text actually shows up. Please advise!!!

13 answers

3 votes
José Higino June 30, 2019

This is not the solution to this problem, but might save some time to some people desperately wanting to avoid this.

If you add "?oldIssueView=true" to the end of your ticket webaddress, the page of that ticket will be presented on the old view that (for me) does not experience this problem (so far).

You might also see at the top of your ticket a link to activate this:

old_view.PNG

If you are able to use the above and want to switch back on all tickets, you are able to do so via the Personal preferences... https://YOURDOMAIN.atlassian.net/secure/ViewPersonalSettings.jspa

There should be something at the end of the page just like bellow (so you can turn it off):

old_view_personal_settings.PNG

As the note above says, this might not work for next-gen projects or business boards.

David Raffelt June 30, 2019

Hi @José Higino 

I can confirm there is no lag when I open a ticket in old view and use "?oldIssueView=True"

However, as per the "Note" on the bottom of your screenshot, this personal setting will not disable the new issue view for nex-gen projects (which we are using). 

Like # people like this
José Higino July 3, 2019

If you haven't done so, please open support ticket as recommended by support. Its the only way they prioritise the resolution.

2 votes
alexlopez July 1, 2019

We are experiencing the same issue on chrome + different OS, Jira cloud, new Issue view.

José Higino July 3, 2019

If you haven't done so, please open support ticket as recommended by support. Its the only way they prioritise the resolution.

1 vote
Laurence Cua November 25, 2019

Same problem happens on Chrome OS

1 vote
Dennis Hilberg October 8, 2019

I too am having the same problem with Firefox 69 on Windows 10 but only in the new issue view. However, I only notice the laggy input when editing an existing comment on a Jira ticket. Adding a new comment to a ticket isn't an issue.

Also there is no CPU spike in my case, just laggy input.

1 vote
Vytautas October 7, 2019

W10+ Firefox has same issue. when putting text into ticket's comment, the CPU reaches ceiling and typing is so slow - 1 char per 3 seconds :O so typing and waiting or using notepad then copy-paste which fires the CPU too

Jan Gargulák November 25, 2019

Please comment on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72373 to get it fixed.

1 vote
Rafael Braga October 3, 2019

I'm also experiencing this problem. I've started to type elsewhere then I copy and paste it. Super cool, you know, to pay hundreds of dollars to use notepad. Awesome. 

1. Jira Cloud
  2. Windows 10
  3. Chrome
  4. SSD + lots of ram
  5. Reboot, reset chrome, you named, I've tried, until I've found this. 
  6. Only page that's slow is Jira. For an example, I can type here and don't see any display lag. 
  7. Do you guys wanna a video? This is getting super annoying.
1 vote
Guy Elsmore-Paddock July 18, 2019

We, too, are seeing this issue. We've switched back to the old experience.

Unfortunately, that's not an option for the newer projects we have since they were built on the new experience.

1 vote
José Higino July 2, 2019

Problem has been replicated by support... https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72373

José Higino July 29, 2019

Problem is now solved. No more lag. Thanks to whomever fixed this.

Guy Elsmore-Paddock August 5, 2019

Not true -- I'm still seeing this when editing comments.

Like Mark Stosberg likes this
José Higino August 5, 2019

Well, it was true a few days ago... and it was blazing fast even typing like a maniac. But now that you commented, I have just checked and some lag has returned indeed. Not something I can't yet say that "I can't work". But definitely has come back.

Like Indrek Sünter likes this
José Higino August 11, 2019

Back to normal "fast" speed again today. If someone could test today (12/08/2019 UTC+13) it would be nice, to have other points of across the globe, confirming or denying the fix.

1 vote

@Petter Gonçalves  Several people in my team are experiencing this problem (Chrome on both Windows and Ubuntu). 

We are using NextGen projects. The lag is so bad that it's currently unusable in Chrome, and I have to use Firefox. Note that I've uninstalled all extensions, re-installed chrome and cleared cache with no improvement found. 

Can you confirm that using an older view does not have the same problem (and its fast)? - I know its not the solution to this, but maybe it would help filter a bit the troubleshooting from Atlassian.

Hi @José Higino Do you mean old project type? If so, yes older projects also have this issue.

Note that the problem seems to happen only when the issue is expanded in the backlog (or roadmap), but not when I open the issue as a new tab. 

The lag seems to be worse for comments compared to description too. But only slightly. Not sure if that helps.

I meant this (not if that's what you referred to) at the top of the JIRA ticket page:

old_view.PNG

I don't see this information anywhere - both when viewing the ticket via the backlog, or in its own tab. So I guess I'm using the old view?

No... you are probably using the recent view.

Try the following (to access the old view)... this might only work on tickets...

1. Open the ticket in full view (don't use any special boards or so), basically so that whatever appears in your screen is only about the ticket and not other things or other tickets.
  2. Add "?oldIssueView=true" to the end of the web address of that ticket.

Example:

https://YOURDOMAIN.atlassian.net/browse/PROJECT-1111

Added expression to access the old view:

https://YOURDOMAIN.atlassian.net/browse/PROJECT-1111?oldIssueView=true

If that works for you, then you should be able to confirm (or not) that in your case the old view does not have the slow typing problem.

1 vote
Patrick Johnson June 29, 2019

I can tell you this problem is not limited to windows.  My whole company has been experiencing this issue, was only use mac

José Higino July 3, 2019

Jan Gargulák November 5, 2019

Do you want this fixed? Make a comment on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72373

Like # people like this
0 votes
Patrick O_Connell September 15, 2021

My org is on 7.8.x, and I think server. I find that saving my work, clearing cache and cookies for the wiki domain, then logging back in and re-editing the page does the trick.

0 votes
Mark Stosberg November 22, 2019

Lag when typing comment boxes is also unbearably bad on Chrome on Ubuntu Linux 18.04. Reverting to "Old View" did not resolve the issue.

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2019

Hello Denise,

Welcome to Atlassian community.

There are several possible reasons that could be causing performance problems.

In order to better understand and help you start a troubleshoot, please provide us with the information below:

- Are you using JIRA Server or Cloud?

- Is anyone else facing this issue?

- Is the issue happening when you use a different browser or computer? Additionally, try to clear your browser cache.

- Is the problem happening is a specific time range?

- When the problem starts happening, can you check with your Admin if any user is performing a Bulk operation on the instance?

Let us know if this information helps you find the root cause of your problem.

José Higino June 26, 2019

I am using JIRA Cloud and using normal JIRA comments editing... and yes... very slow too when typing... just like buffering the key strokes and then in 1 second, displays everything. Here, I don't have that problem for example.

- I don't have the problem if using the "old view"

- Using any browser (Firefox, Chrome, IE, etc) its the same symptom.

- It started a week ago or so...

- I have lots of tabs opened and lots of RAM too... no paging.

- Using Windows 10

- CPU and IO to disk is no problem. Other apps, pages are FAST!

- I have done a reboot too, didn't change anything.

- Tested from @Aaron Hicks laptop and also does the same problem.

Is there a debug mode we can record actions and send back to you?

Like # people like this
Jay June 27, 2019

Having the same issue, no issue with internet connection, or machine speed but JIRA typing in comments or descriptions is painfully slow and hangs/lags for 2-3 sentences at a time

Like # people like this
José Higino June 27, 2019

Update [for MacOS users]

We have people with MacOS in our team that do not have yet experienced the problem.

So, this might be an isolated problem in windows. I will give a try on Linux to validate if the problem also occurs.

Like Jay likes this
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 28, 2019

Hello @José Higino and @Jay,

Can you please let us know what is the platform you are using JIRA (Cloud or Server)?

Additionally, performance issues are complex problems which need further log verifications that could not be performed through the community as it is a public site.

That been said, could each of you create a ticket in our internal support portal with the platform you are currently using? Please, provide this community question in the description of the ticket:

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

Like José Higino likes this

Done. Opened a ticket. Thanks @Petter Gonçalves . And by the way, I had answered already above that this is on JIRA Cloud... we also have JIRA Server internally and this does not happen.

Suggest an answer