Keeping Epic Name and Summary in Sync

Amy_Hall June 22, 2018

Is there any way to automatically set the Epic Name to the Summary or vice versa?  We want these values to be the same.  Because we are integrating with Roadmunk and their cards display Summary whereas the Jira Boards we have generally use the Epic Name field.  When these two fields differ, it causes confusion and we see no value in them being different anyway.

4 answers

2 accepted

14 votes
Answer accepted
Abdul February 15, 2021

Navigate to Project settings > Automation

(A global rule will use your monthly limit, a project based one will not. By default a global rule is created.)

1. Create a new rule

2. At the 'New trigger' menu pick 'Field value changed' (located under 'Issue triggers' subheading).

3. Set the values as follows:

Field value changed: (select both) ‘Epic Name’ and ‘Summary’

Change type: (select) ‘Any changes to the field value’

For: (select both) ‘Create issue’ and 'Edit issue'

4. At the 'Add component' screen pick 'New condition'.

5. Select ‘If / else block’.

6. Select ‘Add conditions…’.

7. Select ‘Advanced compare conditions’.

8. Set the values as follows:

First value: {{fieldChange.toString}}

Condition: (select) ‘does not equal’

Second Value: {{issue.epic name}}

9. At the next 'Add component' screen pick 'New action'.

10. At the 'New action' screen pick 'Edit issue' (located under 'Issue actions' subheading)

11. In the 'Choose fields to set...' dropdown pick 'Epic Name'

12. Click on the '...' (ellipsis next to the new text field) and click on 'Copy from'. The text field will turn into a button. Click the button.

13. In the 'Field to copy value from' dropdown menu pick 'Summary'.

14. Save.

15. On the left hand side right at the bottom click ‘Add component.’ (This link will be above ‘Add Else’.)

16. At the 'Add component' screen pick 'New condition'.
  17. Select ‘If / else block’.

18. Select ‘Add conditions…’.

19. Select ‘Advanced compare conditions’.

20. Set the values as follows:

First value: {{fieldChange.toString}}

Condition: (select) ‘does not equal’

Second Value: {{issue.summary}}

21. At the next 'Add component' screen pick 'New action'.

22. At the 'New action' screen pick 'Edit issue' (located under 'Issue actions' subheading)

23. In the 'Choose fields to set...' dropdown pick ‘Summary’

24. Click on the '...' (ellipsis next to the new text field) and click on 'Copy from'. The text field will turn into a button. Click the button.

25. In the 'Field to copy value from' dropdown menu pick 'Epic Name'.

26. Save.

27. Name your automation and click ‘Turn it on’.

Shaun Newman March 19, 2021

This was a MASSIVE help thank you!!

Brannon Fay
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 13, 2021

Agreed!  Big help.  Thank you!

NSurtani
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 10, 2021

Worked like a charm!!!  Thank you!

Stephan Hannach September 19, 2021

Hej, how do you avoid that the field "Epic Name" is required while creating and Automation rules triggerd by "Issue created" starts after this conditions?

Like # people like this
ashleytse January 26, 2022

data center version dont have this ;[

Karie Price February 15, 2022

Followed these steps today (with some minor tweaks - I'm assuming related to Cloud UI changes) and it worked GREAT! Thank you so much!

Dave F February 16, 2022

Thanks for sharing Abdul. I've done something similar but with extra steps with an IF that keeps the shorter of the two fields

If: matches

{{issue.summary.length()}} is less than {{issue.epic name.length()}}
Copy/add Epic name to Description
Copy Summary to Epic Name
Else
Copy/add Summary to Description
Copy Epic Name to Summary
This keeps the Epic Name if they're both the same length, and retains overwritten field in the Description so that data is not lost
Like ashleytse likes this
James April 20, 2022

@Stephan Hannachdid you find a solution to not having to populate both the Epic Name and Summary fields on an issue creation?

Like # people like this
Stephan Hannach April 25, 2022

@James

There is a theoretical way to do that.

It is possible to unlock locked fields described here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/unlock-a-locked-jira-software-custom-field-779158866.html

This could give the availability to change the field configurations required toggle.

I do not recommend that and I did that never, as Atlassian support discontinue after that operation.

Abdul July 28, 2022

I've updated the steps to 1) fix the issue where if the 'Epic Name' was changed then the 'Summary' did not update. Now you will only need one automation rule. If you've used my previous instructions and want to update then delete those rules first.

Like # people like this
Johan Sund Laursen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 12, 2022

@Abdul thanks for the great answer. I think there is a small typo in the first if condition. I need to {{issue.epic name}} (without the dot) to make it work.

Like Joseph HANI likes this
April Villone November 4, 2022

This did not work for me in Jira Service Management.  The create screen would not auto update, I still had to type something into the epic name and save and it didn't update on save.  Once I edit the ticket if I changed one or the other then it worked but it did not work on creation. 

Adam Ziecik April 17, 2023

@Abdul - I think it is worth editing your original answer with what @Johan Sund Laursen discovered as needed to do the same for the rule to work :) It will help other people in the future :)

" I need to {{issue.epic name}} (without the dot) to make it work."

Abdul April 17, 2023

@Johan Sund Laursen  and @Adam Ziecik thank you both for pointing out this typo. It's fixed.

Like # people like this
Enna Kladstrup
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 19, 2024

almost worked - the one error I think is still in the instructions above is:

"15. On the left hand side right at the bottom click ‘Add component.’ (This link will be above ‘Add Else’.)"

The only way I could select a "New Condition" rather than a "New Action" was if I did the following instead:

- On the left hand side at the very bottom click 'Add Component.' (This link will be under 'Add Else'.)"

1 vote
Answer accepted
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2018

Hi Amy!

There's unfortunately no native feature for that.

That being said, you could use third party apps to have a post-function in your Epics workflow after creation (before reaching first status) which would be copying summary to Epic Name. If you already have any script app such as PowerScript or ScripRunner you can even script it :)

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Amy_Hall June 22, 2018

that's what I suspected but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.  Thanks for your reply.

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2018

I’m happy to see you’re having this consistency between Name and Summary as it’s getting very confusing when they differ!

Have a great day, Amy!

Dave Furlani February 13, 2019

I'd also like to keep the Epic name and Summary as the same, or more importantly, only prompt the user for one. Unfortunately Epic Name is a required field and locked on the instance we have, so users are forced to enter data to both.

That said, epic name isn't offered when creating an epic through Boards > Backlog > Epics > Create Epic, so I assume something has been added to our Jira (v7.11) that changes the behaviour of the field without changing the default create epic screen. 

I think my only option is to stop Epic Name from being a required field, but as it's locked I can't do that through the UI. https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-unlock-a-locked-jira-software-field-779158866.html 

I'd love to know how the field became required and locked too, but I'm new here so I doubt I'll find that answer.

Like # people like this
James April 20, 2022

@Dave Fdid you find a solution?

Dave Furlani April 20, 2022

See my two replies above and Abdul’s post

0 votes
Jim Jacoby
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 19, 2021

I created another issue type (Epic Creator) that has the same fields as an Epic. Then, I have an automation task that, on creation of an Epic Creator task, copies Summary to Epic Name, and then changes the issue type to Epic. It seems to be working so far.

0 votes
Arkadiusz Głowacki April 6, 2020

If anyone is still looking for an answer to this question in (or after) April 2020, then two things changed here:

1. Next-gen epics have only summary, the epic name is gone.

2. You can use automation to set epic name to summary or vice versa without a need to install any addon, it is available in Jira-Cloud natively. 

Coco S Chaussée April 7, 2020

hi -

I'm assuming that you're referring to Classic projects in #2.  Can you provide more information on the native automation, please?

Thank you

Arkadiusz Głowacki April 7, 2020

Hi @Coco S Chaussée ,

You can read more about it here: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/features/automation and take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxv8u30DH8
or read in more details here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/automate-your-jira-cloud-processes-and-workflows/

Or you can navigate to System > Automation rules and try it by yourself.

Regards

Arek

Patricia Mayer April 23, 2020

Hi can I have further details? I tried to create an automation rule, to get the Epic Name from Summary at creation stage, but since Epic Name is a required field, it doesn't allow me to create the ticket without putting a value there.

Like Ayelet Ben-Tzur likes this
Ayelet Ben-Tzur July 20, 2020

I'm with @Patricia Mayer - I can't pass the mandatory setting - post function or any automation runs AFTER the issue is created and it can't be created in the first place without the Epic Name.

Can anyone assist on this please?

Manisha Kode August 21, 2020

I see @Arkadiusz Głowacki  you mentioned epic name is gone in cloud version - my company is using datacenter -- we are trying to keep epic name and summary in Sync.. If Epic name is gone then what is sued in all displays as that short name was used on boards

Sara Watson October 29, 2020

@Ayelet Ben-Tzur @Patricia Mayer - were you able to solve this? I would like to setup an automation rule so that the epic name equals the summary at both creation and for any subsequent updates. 

Ayelet Ben-Tzur October 29, 2020

I haven't. If you manage to, PLEASE tell us how :)

Sara Watson October 29, 2020

@Ayelet Ben-Tzur I was not able to get it to work on epic creation but I was able to write an automation so that if the epic summary changes, so does the epic name. 

When: Issue Updated

If: Summary does not equal the Epic Name from the Current Issue

Then: Edit Issue fields (Epic name = Copy from Summary from Current issue)

Ayelet Ben-Tzur October 29, 2020

Yes, this part is no problem, the problem is with the creation.

Thank you.

Abdul February 15, 2021

@Ayelet Ben-Tzur @Sara Watson I've posted what worked for me in the answers.

Like Shaun Newman likes this

Suggest an answer