Keep track of workflow status changes?

Vendomo August 19, 2015

Our venture is using JIRA for keeping track of specific actions we take with our clients (nothing to do with bug-tracking). 

We therefore have relatively long workflows with 20 or so statuses. I would really need to understand how each issue transitions into each status and would also need to keep track of these changes. The end goal of this archiving and reporting is to understand the conversion rates between each status, throughout our pipeline. 

I haven't seen any plug-in that allows me to archive changes between statuses, therefore I was thinking of using "advanced search" with some JQL that would allow me to see on a daily basis how many issues moved from one status to another.

I am no master with JQL so could someone tell me what code I would need to write into the advanced issue search in order to see all the issues that moved from "new lead" to "contacted" (these are to consecutive status)?

On the other hand, if someone knows of a better and more efficient solution feel free to share it with me laugh 

Thanks

8 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2015

For getting the number of issues that had changed their statuses today, you can create a gadget in your dashboard in which your saved Favorite Filters will be shown together with the number of issues which that JQL return. 

In order to achieve this:

1. Enter Configure System Dashboard page. (press 'g' key twice and type system dashboard)
    1. Click on Add Gadget button, on the top-right corner.
      1. Select the gadget Favorite Filters.
      2. Click on Add Gadget.
          (The gadget will be shown on the dashboard)
          Check the checkbox to display the number of issues that each filter returns. 
  2. Check the gadget shows the number of issues returned by the JQL, and a link to actually perform the query.
Vendomo August 20, 2015

thanks, i didn't see the numbers appearing on the right!

4 votes
Jonathan Mao March 4, 2020

I'm keen to do something similar, I want a list of issues that have changed status showing the status they changed from, and the status they changed to, and when they changed.

Is that possible without a plugin?

I'm not very proficient in JQL at this point. So any help is greatly appreciated.

2 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2015

JQL to get all issues which status had changed today from "new lead" to "contacted":

status changed FROM "new lead" TO "contacted" AFTER startOfDay()

It would be handy saving this JQL as one of your favourite Filters, so that you can perform that search with a mouse click.

Jad Khoriaty August 30, 2018

Is the list static once the page is posted? i.e. if I change a status tomorrow, will it be added to the list or not?

I wish that it isn't because I want to keep track of all the issues that were passed from "Submitted" to "Accepted" during a particular meeting in the meeting notes of this meeting.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2020

Hi Jad,

That JQL is dynamic.

The JQL you need is, in example:

status changed FROM Submitted TO Accepted DURING("2020/12/25 09:30", "2020/12/25 13:30")

More info about the changed operator.

Hope it helps.

2 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2015

A simple way is to copy the current date to a custom date field with a post function in the transition. Only put them on the view screen. They will be visible in the issue details and easily available if you export a report with them. I use this for 'milestone' events in our workflows. You need to put the copy post function AFTER the update function or you may get a date other than 'today'

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2015

Cool solution! +1ed!

0 votes
Dmitry Tyomkin March 8, 2017

Good discussion. I am wondering if someone knows how to view the "changed from" state on the filter results screen or elsewhere.

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2015

JQL to get all issues which status had changed today:

status changed AFTER startOfDay()
Vendomo August 19, 2015

I meant more something like this: new lead -> contacted: 3 contacted -> follow-up: 5 follow-up -> ... : 2 etc. So pretty much a counted list of all movements in each possible transition between status

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2015

Check my last comment. You can do so by saving all those JQL queries as your favorite filters and then, add the Favorite Filters gadget to your dashboard. This will require to save one filter for each change from one status to another one.

Like Sören Ille likes this
Lilit Harutyunyan June 18, 2020

I'm keen to do something similar, I want a list of issues that have changed status showing the status they changed from, and the status they changed to, and when they changed. Could you help with a JQL?

0 votes
Vendomo August 19, 2015

Thanks for the great answers. My issue now is that I have 20 status and like 30 transitions so if I have to input 30 JQL queries every day, it would be a total waste of my time. Any idea if there is a way to create a single query that outputs the amount of issues transitioning in-between each status (therefore automatically counting the amount of issues that moved)? I'm assuming this should be possible since JIRA operates as a database and I know this could be done with a normal SQL based database. Anyhow thanks again for your responses. 

0 votes
Pilar
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2015

all the issues that moved from "new lead" to "contacted"

For this you can use this JQL

status changed from "new lead" to "contacted" and updated > -24h and project=<your project name>

Also refer to this JQL article to familiarise yourself to JQL

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+Searching

Pilar

Suggest an answer