Keep issue type in workflow scheme but do not allow it to be created

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2013

I have a project with two issue types. Old-Item and New-Item. There are also two workflows, Old-Workflow and New-Workflow.

I would like to be able to allow all the Old-Item issues to continue with the Old-Workflow, but I do not want to allow Old-Item s to be created. How can I do this?

Edit

Based on the feedback I think I know what my options are for the original question. Does the answer change at all if I ddo not have a need for the tasks to be on a separate workflow? As far as I know, the issue type need to be in the Issue Type scheme for the project, which is where the "Create New Issue" options are fed from.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2013

Add a new project role , dont add any user in this project role .

Now add a condtion to the workflow on the create transition , Only users with this project role should be able to execute the transition .

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2013

Mizan, I guess @DJX already said this in the above comment.

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2013

Right , When i was writing the answer the page was not refreshed ... when i posted the answer I saw your answer :)

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2013

Not possible AFAIK, you need to follow a javascript hack similar to the one here - https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/119531/customizing-the-sub-task-types-based-on-the-issue-type

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2013

Thanks for your feedback. I will consider it. I found a temporary workaround of modifying the Old-Workflow "Create" transition to require Admin privileges. This will prevent users from creating the issue type, but they could still waste time filling out the form and won't know they can't create it until they press the "Create" button.

David Chan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2013

@DJX, I was thinking of the same method.

If you're worried about users wasting their time, you may also want to rename the Issue Type to someting like "Old-Item Do Not Use" or something

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2013

Yeah, good one.

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2013

Thanks @David. One issue is that I can't rename the issue type because it is still in use in other projects.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2013

Just to add to the first point of restricting the issue types by admin permission, you may also add a field "message custom field for edit", associate that with the screen scheme for the Edit for that issue type and put in some HTML in red colour stating that "Do Not Create Issues of This Type". This will help users not wasting time.

https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JTOOL/JIRA+Toolkit+Plugin

Suggest an answer