Kanban vs Scrum Workflow Conditions

Sheri Morita September 22, 2021

Hi - some of our teams are using Scrum and some are using Kanban.

In the case of Scrum I would like to implement a workflow constraint that an issue cannot be moved to 'In Progress' unless it is assigned to a sprint. This is easy enough to do by preventing the issue from progressing if the sprint field is null, but then issues on the Kanban board cannot be moved to 'In Progress'. 

Is there a way to accomplish this? We are using JMWE.

Thanks.

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2021

There's no way to do this, because it is self-contradictory.

Look at the underlying data.  You have an issue, which makes its way through a workflow. 

You're asking for a validator to stop it going through to in-progress, but also one that will allow it to go to in-progress at the same time.  This is the problem, you need to decide whether to block it or not.

The boards here are an irrelevance - they are a display of a selection of issues that allow you to transition them by dragging between columns.  Whatever the type of board, there's only one issue here so you can't have two contradictory validators.

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2021

Hi @Sheri Morita

With jmwe you need to use a fields required validator for the sprint field in the transition that goes to "in progress".

Link: https://www.innovalog.com/videos/37-jmwe-cloud-videos/257-workflow-validators-for-jira-cloud

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2021

I agree with @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

I misread the original question.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Sheri Morita September 24, 2021

Thanks. I figured out a way to do it. I can create a constraint based on which team an issue is assigned to. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events