Kanban or Scrum Board

Abby O_Connell March 24, 2023

Hello! My team currently uses two different Kanban boards (Projects and Process Improvements) and we’d like to combine them into one, so we only have to visit one page. We are trying to decide though if we should move over to a Scrum Board instead. 

Process Improvement Work:

• Work in sprints of 2 weeks 

Project Work:

• Each project (one ticket) could last multiple months

We’d like to be able to see:

• Sprints
  • Story points
  • Team member assigned to each 

If we stick with a Kanban board, we’ve been able to configure the columns, so they would work for both the Process Improvements and Project work. 

Please let me know if anyone has suggestions on which path we should take.

2 answers

2 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2023

Hi @Abby O_Connell and welcome,

Kanban and Scrum boards are related to two different Agile approaches.

If you need to have sprints and story points, you need to use a Scrum board. Please take a look to this interesting article https://www.atlassian.com/agile/kanban/kanban-vs-scrum

Fabio

1 vote
John Elder March 24, 2023

I would first suggest looking into the ways in which these two approaches are best implemented.  You may find that, while cumbersome, multiple boards gives you the best visibility into your project's performance.  Kanban work should be like-sized so you can measure things like cycle time and throughput, and you can also accurately limit WIP.  You may end up with 3 or 4 (or more, or less) Kanban boards in the end, with specific guidelines/rules for each one.  And Scrum you definitely seem to have sprint-based work so that would be a seperate board with specific metrics.  Absolutely not a direct answer to your question, but just some guidance to consider.  :)

Suggest an answer