Kanban Transition Move Task to Another Project

Craig Goldensoph March 17, 2016

There might be a better practice for doing this but I am curious if this is possible.  I have not seen the ability to setup the transition for this.  We have a software project for development with statuses related to that and another software project for the planning and requirement gathering processes.  The second projects end status is Ready for Development and we would like to set it up so that either the release functionality or just moving into that status will move the task to the other project.

The reason we are doing this is so the development project stays clean without tasks that are sitting for some times months as they are fully planned out or are just on hold and not being setup.  Normally a scrum process would be good for this but in this case it is a maintenance project so items coming in generally need to be worked right away once they hit the development board.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2016

It's not possible.

A Kanban board shows a set of status in the columns, and hence allows you to change the status by dragging across columns.

To move a task to another project, you're not changing status (although you often are, as part of it), you're changing project (and issue type). 

Moving an issue in JIRA is a very complex process in the background - it has to check all the schemes for full compatibility, and although the simple case is "yup move it", in a lot of cases, it's not that simple, more information is needed.  At the top end of complexity of those cases, you could have to update dozens of fields.

1 vote
Craig Goldensoph March 17, 2016

Thanks, for the response.  I thought that might be the case but thought I would check.  We will just keep it as a manual process.  In our case the statuses are the only real difference between the projects.  Probably could just get over my ocd of things sitting on a board as well.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2016

It is a nice idea, I can see good uses for it.  But it's technically painful to build code for a generic case.

In your case, if you really would find it useful, I think you could find/write a listener that could go "aha, issue x moved into status Y, I should move it into project Z", but you'd need to be really careful to check all the settings for the target.

Suggest an answer