Kanban Board not showing subtaks

Danny Who February 23, 2021

Hey Atlassians,

I have a serious problem on Jira Server. We move from Scrum to Kanban Mode and need a Kanban Board that works more or less identically to the Scrum Board. We have a filter that filters just for the project and want to use swimlanes for storys and all other issuetypes as we did before. So we set up the board filter, swimlanes by stories and mapped relevant statuses to columns, everything else is mapped to the kanban backlog. There are Tasks with subtasks that have statuses which are both mapped to columns on the kanban board. Only main-level issuestypes have set fixVersion and those aren't released yet. So this can't be the cause either.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-23 um 17.44.53.png

And still not any single subtask is showing up! aaarrrgh - so frustrating!

When I try to debug the config and dive into the boardfilter via issue navigator, the list gives me every subtask as well. So I actually don't think that I need to include "issuetype in (standardIssueTypes(), subTaskIssueTypes())" into the filter. But even desperately did so to proceed with the problem. But we are still out of luck.

- so why are they broken for the swimlane view?

Thanks for quick reply
Cheers
Danny

2 answers

0 votes
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2021

Do you have anything that extends your JQL queries? I've had a similar issue in the past and have had to remove the subfilter then get creative with the filter. I use the JQL functions included with Scriptrunner to do something like the below, but there are other apps in the marketplace that extend JQL, check if you have any of them.

project = VP AND (fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY) OR project = VP AND issueFunction in subtasksOf('project = VP AND (fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY)')

0 votes
Gloria Ojukwu
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2021

Hi @Danny Who, sorry about this, but do make sure to select issue type in Task as "sub-task". This should solve the problem. Just make sure in general that your filter isn't restricting it.

Danny Who February 25, 2021

Hi Gloria,

Subtasks of any type are included in the Boardfilter:

"…issuetype in (…SubTaskIssueTypes())".

When I do a manual search, this gives me the full list of main and subtasks I want. But not on the board.

(X) I deleted the subfilter just for fun That one positively filters just for unreleased or empty version fields. And I am stunned since I then get subtasks grouped by their parents. But why?!

Our fixversion-scheme works as following: parent tasks are versioned and subtasks don't have that field set (not even configured in the field scheme for subtasks). We are currently working towards a release, that version is set and still in unreleased state.

Since subtasks have empty version fields, I expect them to show up. Why don't they appear?

Using (X) as workaround won't solve our problem since this makes the board un-clearable with a version release anymore due to the inner logic of Jira Kanban boards.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2021

Is there a chance that you mean by:

Our fixversion-scheme works as following: parent tasks are versioned and subtasks don't have that field set (not even configured in the field scheme for subtasks).

the field is hidden in its respective Field Configuration? This could be the cause, at least I understood it like that - according to documentation:

This happens because any fields that are hidden as per Hiding or showing a field in a issue type are not considered for search results, and in this example the fixVersion is not empty nor unreleased as it doesn't exist for this project/issue type.

If this should match to your circumstances an alternative is reported to be to adjust the query as follows:

fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY OR (project = MyProject AND type = 'Sub-task')

Danny Who March 3, 2021

the field is hidden in its respective Field Configuration? This could be the cause, at least I understood it like that - according to documentation:

What do you mean by "hidden"? Fields have to be configured to be contained in issuetypes at all and then there are screens required with them if you want to make them available for being shown and edited in certain situations.

In our case, I just made the fixV field is present in the fields config for subtasks but we don't set it (since we didn't need to before; we set the V in the main stories and due to the nature of subtasks (story is only complete if all subtasks are and a story is part of ONE specific version) it would make no sense to maintain them on two levels) and therefore we didn't make it visible in any subtaks screens.

And nooow... story swimlanes seem to be working :) yay, first challenge successfully mastered.

But now we have another problem: cleaning up the kanban board doesn't seem to work. We have a lot of storys set to released versions and their statuses are in a "Done" statuscategory and mapped to the far right column. Subtasks are Done as well. But a ton of them is still showing on the board although we have set the subfilter to

fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-03 um 16.22.45.png

VP-1875 is in V ITS 2.0 and that one is released:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-03 um 16.27.17.png

All subtasks (field is available in subtasks, no screens configured, not V set) are DONE as well but they are all still showing up in the right column

I set the autocleaning filter to NONE since we don't want to clean the board manually by releases, not by time after completing issues:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-03 um 16.27.36.png

what is still wrong here?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2021

Hiding it per Field Configuration (Field Configuration Scheme) according to documentation would show the behaviour you observed.
When you say it is shown in Field Configuration for Sub-task issue type then this is ok and should not be any source for the effects you are tasked with.

Ah, I forgot, for the cleaning part:

Could you please review the last setting in board settings? From your last screenshot it was set to "show all". Something like that should work better for your requirement:

grafik.png

Danny Who March 3, 2021

Hi Daniel, thanks for the quick reply.

FixV wasn't part of the subtask field config before, I added it after your advice to do so and that seemed to help.

But do you have any idea concerning the cleaning of the kanbanboard?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2021

Yes, sorry I was to fast - tried to edit the comment, please kindly see above.

Danny Who March 3, 2021

Of course that works, but as I've written in my last sentence, we don't want any time-triggered auto-cleaning but rather maintain the fixV fields and then on release date, the PO sets set Version to "released" in Jira's versions-section. As I understand Jira's kanban logic, this should work but in fact, it doesn't as you can see from my screenshots.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2021

Sorry for that - your edit came in after I sent the reply :)

grafik.png

Could you please check if there is a blank space missing between the bracket and the "or"?
In general it should not do any difference, but there should be one.

Danny Who March 3, 2021

There actually was a blank missing but changing it didn't make any difference.

Update: I just fiddled around and found out: for subtasks to be cleared the way I want, they need to have maintained subtask fixV-fields. REALLY?

How on earth are we supposed to manually maintain all those fields?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 5, 2021

There are several options - but you would need to check if one fits at all.

This is what I found out:

1.) use ScriptRunner (if present in your installation or you are ok with buying an App) to automate the "mirroring" of the version number to the Subtask

- or -

2.) hide Sub-Tasks from Board

This is basically what I gathered in regards to your question - but I understand you find it not perfect like it was programmed.

In case you see other options that were not discussed right now, please do let Community know.

Suggest an answer