Jira workflow : What to do when QA finds a bug

Clément Berger September 9, 2019

Dear all,

i have a question regarding what to do with a user story when a bug is found. I see two scenarios :

1) You open a bug. But then, what do you do with the user story ? What state should it be put it ?

2) You put the user story at a failed status, describing the bug in its comments.

I'm not a big fan of the second scenario, because you can easily loose yourself if there are too many comments.

But for the first scenario, i don't know what to do with the user story while the bugs are being fixed.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance !

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2019

This really comes down to preference and what works best for your team. You could create a literal workflow that has an “in test” status and either move to Done if it succeeds or Failed if not. The developer would then move back to In Progress and address the bug. The other method would be as you stated in #1 where a separate issue is created to capture the bug in which case the tester should link the two issues and assign both back to the developer. The latter allows you to track multiple bugs against the story more definitively. 

Thanks for your feedback !

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2019

Hi @Clément Berger

An option is to leave the Story where it is and flag it as impeded or blocked.

To flag an issue:

• Locate it on your board
  • Right-click and choose Add Flag

An alternative I've seen used is to add a new sub-task issue type - Defect. This is a bug found during story delivery which impedes the story's progress.

Bugs are then used for production bugs (i.e not located during development).

If you wanted to visualise Defects you could have them visible on the board - we decided instead to have a quick filter visualising which stories had an attached Defect.

Ste

Thank you for your answer !

Suggest an answer