It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Jira won't start after hard-reboot due to 'password decryption not performed'

JIRA version = 8.5.0, Java Version = 1.8.0_202

I had to to a hard-reboot after a screen freeze on my gentoo machine on which jira runs.

When i rebooted and went back into jira i'm greeted with the "Jira had problems starting up" screen.

Looking at the end of /opt/atlassian/jira/logs/catalina.out i'm seeing:

08-Nov-2019 21:48:02.732 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Server startup in 3384 ms
12 2019-11-08 21:48:02,779 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.j.config.database.SystemDatabaseConfigurationLoader] Reading database configuration from /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/dbconfig.xml
11 2019-11-08 21:48:02,805 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.j.config.database.DatabaseConfigHandler] Trying to get encrypted password from xml and decrypt it
10 2019-11-08 21:48:02,806 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.j.config.database.DatabaseConfigHandler] Database password decryption not performed.
9 2019-11-08 21:48:03,193 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger] Running JIRA startup checks.
8 2019-11-08 21:48:03,193 JIRA-Bootstrap FATAL [c.a.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger] Startup check failed. JIRA will be locked.

I'm just starting out (my second run at this), and am using the h2db until i can get it running under mariadb (yeah, i know, i know :p ). In my dbconfig.xml i have no password. I don't have data in there that i'd feel strongly about protecting. I'll do that when i get mariadb set up on this.

So, what's my next step? re-install an update? re-introduce the database from a file in export somehow?  If this were mysql i'd know what to do, but i'm unsure of how to deal with this when an h2 database is involved. 

Any help is apprecaited. Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I fixed it by deleting /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/dbconfig.xml and re-running the installation when i re-connected to my jira instance.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

864 views 6 24
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you