Jira won't start after hard-reboot due to 'password decryption not performed'

Bearcat M_ Şándor November 8, 2019

JIRA version = 8.5.0, Java Version = 1.8.0_202

I had to to a hard-reboot after a screen freeze on my gentoo machine on which jira runs.

When i rebooted and went back into jira i'm greeted with the "Jira had problems starting up" screen.

Looking at the end of /opt/atlassian/jira/logs/catalina.out i'm seeing:

08-Nov-2019 21:48:02.732 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Server startup in 3384 ms
12 2019-11-08 21:48:02,779 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.j.config.database.SystemDatabaseConfigurationLoader] Reading database configuration from /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/dbconfig.xml
11 2019-11-08 21:48:02,805 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.j.config.database.DatabaseConfigHandler] Trying to get encrypted password from xml and decrypt it
10 2019-11-08 21:48:02,806 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.j.config.database.DatabaseConfigHandler] Database password decryption not performed.
9 2019-11-08 21:48:03,193 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger] Running JIRA startup checks.
8 2019-11-08 21:48:03,193 JIRA-Bootstrap FATAL [c.a.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger] Startup check failed. JIRA will be locked.

I'm just starting out (my second run at this), and am using the h2db until i can get it running under mariadb (yeah, i know, i know :p ). In my dbconfig.xml i have no password. I don't have data in there that i'd feel strongly about protecting. I'll do that when i get mariadb set up on this.

So, what's my next step? re-install an update? re-introduce the database from a file in export somehow?  If this were mysql i'd know what to do, but i'm unsure of how to deal with this when an h2 database is involved. 

Any help is apprecaited. Thank you.

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Bearcat M_ Şándor November 9, 2019

I fixed it by deleting /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/dbconfig.xml and re-running the installation when i re-connected to my jira instance.

MinwooKang May 6, 2020

It's worked for me ! Thanks

Like Bearcat M_ Şándor likes this
0 votes
ChandraPrakash August 24, 2022

If you are using any shared home like NFS or EFS, make sure it mounted properly and shared home directory is mentioned in <JIRA HOME DIR>/cluster.properties.

For me it has resolved by doing this.

0 votes
Tim Rowe November 11, 2021

I've had this issue intermittently when doing upgrades to Jira systems over the past 18 months.  While you can delete the config and start over, I feel that the error messages given to users when this issue occurs are not particularly helpful - and it is unclear why this occurs.  Recently when again upgrading our UAT service to 8.20.1 I encountered this again - the startup with just hang with no other real indication to the admin that anything is wrong; the web startup page would just hang, waiting.  It would be good if it could say that start-up has failed.

Suggest an answer