Jira users to crowd

Sri Deppthi July 3, 2012

Hi

Our jira userbase is currently internal ( on Oracle database) and the usernames are emailID's.

Now we have planned to move our user base to crowd and authenticate with AD.

For this, we have taken the xml dump and renamed all users and imported the xml (with out fail),

now we wan to our existing users to authenticate aganist Crowd ( we have created a single directory to talk to Active Directory)

Please let me know the procedure to map our existing jira users (AD account after rename) and users in crowd directory (same AD account)

Regards,

Sri

1 answer

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2012

Standard caveat: Do this on a test system :)

In JIRA you should be able to add a new directory that is connected to Crowd. Sync it. This will bring over your users from AD into JIRA (which means you have 2 sets of users with the same usernames in JIRA). Move this new directory in front of the existing internal directory and logout/log in

You should now be logging in with an AD account user. Try disabling the internal directory to double check.

Because the internal directory has a bunch of users I would probably try create a 2nd internal directory to store any users you DO want local only to JIRA (an Internal Admin user e.g.) then delete the old internal directory

Sri Deppthi July 4, 2012

This Sounds perfect will try this and keep you posted. Thanks for quick reply.

Sri

Sri Deppthi July 4, 2012

How about groups? we wanted to get our groups and users managed from Crowd as we would like to implement SOS with other tools.

Sri Deppthi July 5, 2012

I tried this by configuring anoher directory ( Internal with LDAP authentication user directory)

and moved this directory to top.

The issue is with the uppercase usernames in LDAP directory and the same name is in lower case in my internal directory and this seems to be be reason for jira in mapping the users.

Please help me through.

Sri Deppthi July 9, 2012

Hi Colin,

I have got this working when i configured the crowd user directory (talking to LDAP) in JIRA.

Now, after renaming users in xml (with NT account and restoring dump) and configuring crowd directory i was able to map the issues with the rite users.

The issue now I have is, evry time user logs in jira with NT account I have to manually add them to their respective groups ( which they were before rename and internal). Is there a way I can get the groups associated with users automatically.

I have opted for read/write crowd configuration as to have groups in Jira rather than in crowd, is this the rite approach?

Please guide.

-Sri

Suggest an answer