Jira user cannot change the issue type

Current user which is set the permissioned as developer can change the issue type from Defect to Improvement. What is the possible i can block this thing from happened?Developer can view and edit but cannot change the issue type.

7 answers

0 vote

If a user can edit an issue, they can change the issue type if you allow them by

1. putting it on the issue screen, as long as the source and target issue types are configured the same
  2. allow them to "move" an issue

You can't block that natively

You can create 'Screen Scheme' where 'Edit Issue' operation can be assigned to screen without 'Issue Type' field to change.

Then add this screen scheme to Issue Type Screen Scheme for all needed projects.

Good plan, but it does rely on you not ever needing to change between issue types that are configured differently in general, and still leaves the "move" option open

What is "move"? I do not get it. Issue type is field, it is not like status

Yes, it is a field, but it is a field that ALL the configuration hangs off. The issue type determines what screens, fields and workflows you use. If you have issue types that are configured differently, then changing issue type means you are changing the entire configuration of the issue, and that is not a simple thing to do. The move function has all the code needed to check and migrate between issue types. Plain "edit" does not. Try it for yourself - set up a project that uses two different workflows for bug and task, and create a bug. You will find that you are not offered "task" in the issue type field when you try to edit it - you have to use "move" to change it.

Thank you, I understand now.

0 vote

You can also attempt to use workflow permissions to fix this. Please take a look at this link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=149834

Isn't it the permission to "move" an issue type? I can't remember changing the issue type without using the move functionality?

0 vote

You can change issue type by editing the field directly, if it is on the edit screen and the issue types have the same configuration. If one of those is not true, you have to move the issue.

Ah think our configuration led me to this assumption, because there is always something different. :) thank you!

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. Anyway, i have tried by removing the Project Role (Developer) from the Permission Schemes page. Then i login as developer and developer cannot edit the issue type (change from defect to improvement), cannot change the severity and  etc but developer still able to comment, attach files and fix issue etc.  It seems work for me.

So you've killed off the *edit* rights

<sigh>

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

64 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you