Jira unable to access on port 80

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2013

Hi All

I want to access jira using startard port 80. So I amended the server.xml from port 8080 to 80 and restartd jira (as a service).

But after the change I cannot access jira.

What are the changes that i need to make to fix this?

It seems that apache is not listening to this port. Can anyone help please?

Note:If I use any other port say 8091 , 8092 etc it works. but not 80

Rahul

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Ivan Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2013

If you're using a linux OS then you need to run JIRA as a root user. Only root is allowed to run applications on ports lower than 1024.

If you're running on windows, you could have another service running on that port already.

Eithery way, the change you're making is most likely correct, but an environment variable could ne holding you up.

5 votes
Suhas Gopalkrishna February 23, 2016

sudo iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 8080.

This will just fit your bill, redirect everything from 8080 to 80 and you can access it over http without any issues. Ex : (www.jira.mydomain.com) as compared to default (www.jira.mydomain.com:8080)

ucishark1978 April 4, 2020

this really save me a lot.. Brilliant !!!. Simple solution and it works !

1 vote
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2013

In any case take a look at this documentation, is always better to read the official information, at least to understand:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Changing+JIRA's+TCP+Ports

Cheers

1 vote
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2013
I wouldn't reconmend running any process to run as root. I assume you aim at removing the port i.e. 8080 from the address and make it respond to jira.yourhost.tld This can be done in a more smarter way
Chris Baigorri March 26, 2014

@C. FaysalCan you elaborate on what approach you would take to run JIRA without a port number?

Paulo Gaspar August 2, 2016

No, he keeps the "more smarter way" to himself, because you wouldn't understand.

Like Bjørn Henrik Formo likes this
0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2013

I simply re-installed jira and amended the xml to accept port 80 and it worked. Not sure what was wrong with my previous installation.

Rahul

Suggest an answer