Jira stopped. Now can't start

Nav April 9, 2017

Hello 

The jira was configured and working fine till yesterday but it now stopped and can't start again. Here is the error message when I tried to start

Server startup logs are located in /opt/atlassian/jira/logs/catalina.out

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/atlassian/jira

Using CATALINA_HOME:   /opt/atlassian/jira

Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/atlassian/jira/temp

Using JRE_HOME:        /opt/atlassian/jira/jre/

Using CLASSPATH:       /opt/atlassian/jira/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/atlassian/jira/bin/tomcat-juli.jar

Using CATALINA_PID:    /opt/atlassian/jira/work/catalina.pid

Existing PID file found during start.

Unable to read PID file. Start aborted.

Thansk for looking into this. 

2 answers

1 accepted

20 votes
Answer accepted
Nav April 10, 2017

Thanks Sam for quick revert. I really appreicate your help. Finally I am able resolve the issue. I am posting answer here so it may help someone else with same problem.

Goto: /opt/atlassian/jira/work/ directory and delete catalina.pid file. ( Due to some strange reason, the pid proces was killed but file not removed)

stop and start jira again and it works.

Thanks 

Dale_K_M_Tan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 21, 2018

Found this while trying to get my Confluence instance to start too. Thanks for asking!

Anton Perera March 4, 2019

@Nav Thanks for the answer. This fixed my issue too. :)

gadadechhaya28 May 24, 2019

Hi @Nav ,

I followed the same procedure,deleted /opt/atlassian/jira/work/catalina.pid file....but still not able to start jira

Like Alexander Samets likes this
Shirley Shorter June 15, 2019

Thanks it worked for me too Linux on CentOS 6 :)

Roger L. Main
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 16, 2019

Worked for me!

0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2017

Hi Nav,

What command are you using to start JIRA?

The 'Existing PID file found during start' message inticates there might be reminants of existing JIRA/tomcat process that you need to kill/remove.

Also, take look at this thread, which is a similar (but not exactly the same) problem. The answers from Brian Jones and Nic Brough might help.

Nav April 10, 2017

Hi Sam

Thanks for the quick revert.

I use any one of these commands to start Jira. It worked until today.

service jira start

OR

/opt/atlassian/jira/bin/./start-jira.sh

I had looked at this thread earlier but it wouldn't help as question from eiger3970 thread snippet tells secific existing PID number but in my case it says later 'Unable to read PID file'.

I see messaging coming from catalina.sh.

Nav April 10, 2017

Also when I try to stop the jira ( assume PID still running), it says

"PID file found but no matching process was found. Stop aborted"

Like Amy Lucht likes this
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2017

The general advice on the other thread about checking for running processes and killing them is really what I was referring to. I spotted that the snippet showed slighlty different error from yours.

Anyway, have a look at this Knowledge Base article, particuarly the diagnosis part, and see if it helps you fix.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/the-jira-application-doesn-t-terminate-after-shutdown-script-is-executed-222200632.html

Also, take note of the info in the admin users guides about starting/stopping JIRA (assuming you are on JIRA v7) as there are different commands depending on whether you installed JIRA as a service or not:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/start-and-stop-jira-applications-861253944.html

p.s. I edited your replies above to remove blank space.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events