Jira service desk confluence license issue

DSI Articque December 4, 2019

Hello,

We currently have a Jira Service Desk server running to do the support for our customers.

We purchased a Confluence license to add a knowledge database. But we are having trouble to give everyone the access.

As stated on Atlassian's website : "You only need a Confluence license for team members who create articles for your knowledge base. Your customers and team can view the articles for free.". The problem is if I do not add the customer's account to the confluence-users group they do not have access to Confluence at all, but if I do so it takes up a license.

What I am doing wrong ? How can I give access to the various confluence spaces to my customer without it taking all my licenses ?

1 answer

0 votes
laralg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2019

Hello Articque,

This is a bit of a tricky question because is a little bit hard to configure. With confluence, only users with a license  can browse articles and write them. But joined with service desk, they can browse confluence BUT throught Service  Desk, they have to see the knoledge base articles in the portal, they cannot go to confluence and browse it at free will unless you have made your confluence public. In which case everyone (on the internet) can check it out, but only the users that have a license can write articles.

What Service Desk does, is work as a "window" for customers to confluence so they can see the articles that you have made avaiable in your service desk.

Hope this links helps you:https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-desk-cloud/docs/set-up-a-knowledge-base-so-customers-can-serve-themselves/

Regards

I am going to read the page you linked in your answer but here is the problem :

Even if the customers search through the portal the cannot get any results unless they are in the confluence-users group. Once they are in, the portal gives them answers for their searches.

So after reading this article I remembered that Confluence as global permissions as well. So I added my various clients groups to the global permissions and now the search in the portal does give the right results.

However, when I go to Licensing information in the confluence administration, it still says that I have to many registered users for my license.

Lucy Adeke December 4, 2019

Hi Articque,

Check that you removed your customers from the confluence-users group and that their groups have "can use" rights within global permissions.

My customers are only members of their respective company group.

I only have in the confluence-users group the developer user and the project lead user.

The custom company groups I have created do have the "can use" rights within global permissions.

Even after a synchronization of the user directory I still have the customers accounts counted in the license.

laralg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2019

Hi Articque,

Where do your confluence users come from? Are you getting them from the company ldap or using Jira as the user database for confluence? Usually this integration works better when confluence uses the same users ans Jira.

My users comes from the Jira user database. I have also enabled the " External user management" setting in the Security Configuration tab of the administration of Confluence.

DSI Articque December 5, 2019

Is there something wrong with my configuration ? What can I do to solve this issue ?

DSI Articque December 5, 2019

My customers are still unable to access our Confluence server.

How can I solve this issue ? Is there a way for me to send you an excerpt of my configuration for you to look at ?

It seems really strange to not be able to solve this issue quicker when your website clearly states that "Your customers and team can view the articles for free"

DSI Articque December 10, 2019

Should I expect a solution to this issue or is no one able to solve my problem ?

laralg
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2019

Hi Articque,

The only thing that I can do for you is forward you this link that I used myself and wish you luck configuring it. https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/guide-to-link-knowledge-base-to-jira-service-desk-for-unlicensed-user-816677228.html

I am, just a dedicated Jira user, givinig you the best tips but not part of Atlassian team, if this is really giving you trouble you should contact their support of maybe get the consultancy services of an Atlassian Partner in your area. 

Sometimes Atlassians stop in this forum, is just a forum and not a support service :)

Good luck

Suggest an answer