Jira server support will end - does this affect us?

Vishal Sable March 22, 2023

Does Jira server end of support will affect us as we are using Jira cloud service?

Are there any precaution we need to take before this will end?

How migration would be helpful?

1 answer

2 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

@Vishal Sable

If you are using Jira Cloud then the end of server support should not impact you.

Thanks,

Kian

Does this mean that Jira software users will be impacted by the end of server support and for cloud users technical support, security upgrades, or bug fixes always be available? 

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

@Vishal Sable

Yes. Users on server will no longer have access to Atlassian support, security upgrades, or bug fixes.

Users of Jira Data Center or Jira Cloud will continue to receive bug fixes, security patches, and support.

Thanks,

Kian

I have checked about what version and service I am using, it is as below:

Atlassian JIRA Project Management Software (v6.4.7#64022-sha1:4cb2968) 

How I can check if I am user of server, Jira Data Center or Jira Cloud?

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2023

You are not using Cloud, and I would doubt you are using data center. To confirm, try to find your license. The version you have is so old that I'd be willing to bet you are on server.

Apologies, I have checked and I confirm that I am using Jira server. What are the precautions I should take before this end of server support?

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2023

@Vishal Sable

It depends on what you want to do. Right now, I believe you've been without Atlassian support/bug fixes for years due to the Atlassian EOL policies. In that regard, I don't think you'll notice much difference. That being said, it is best practice to keep up with the latest features, security patches, ect.

You could do one of three things:

1. Remain on Jira Server
  2. Upgrade your current set up to Jira Data Center.
  3. Migrate to Atlassian Cloud.

Remaining on Jira Server will cost nothing and require no work, but you will be running an application that Atlassian nor app vendors will support. Again, this may not be of concern to you, but it is best practice to not do this.

Atlassian Data Center will be a closer experience to what you had on Jira Server, but requires you to maintain your own infrastructure, upgrades, ect. Based on the version of Jira you are using, it seems like keeping up to date has been a challenge for your organization up to this point, so that may be something you want to consider.

Moving to Atlassian Cloud requires some preparation and work, but will likely give you the best experience going forward as you don't maintain the infrastructure and Atlassian performs automatic upgrades. 

There are some other factors to consider, but at a high level those are your options!

Suggest an answer