Jira screen configuration questions

scott.fawcett April 23, 2019

Trying to get my arms around the different screens we have and the fields so I can make the screens as efficient as possible, i.e. remove fields not used.

From what I can tell we really only use 2 screens - 1) the right sidebar view when you click on a ticket from a scrum board 2) the full-tab view.

I can go to Project Settings > Issue Layout to modify the sidebar view.  Here I can reorder the fields.

1. There are fields here that are not shown on the screen.  I'm guessing I disabled showing them at some point, which is fine. Not sure where.  In the end I need to make sure the screen is applicable to all users and not just myself (because I've read there are some things that only affect my login).  Help.
  2. I'm guessing that the Title, Description, Attachments and Activity is hard-coded on the left-side of this form and we're really only able to add/delete and reorder fields on the right side?  Please confirm.

I can go to Jira Settings > Issues > Screens and see a list of fields, but I have no idea what this list is relevant to.  I was hoping it was a way to configure the full-tab view, but the list of fields and order has no relevance to what that screen looks like for us.

1. What is this list for?
  2. What screens does it affect?
  3. How does one configure the full-tab view, both for fields and order, if this isn't it?

In the end, a drawing of the relationship between screen schemes, issue type and issue type screen schemes would be awesome (because in my research I've seen reference to all of these terms).

Thanks for your help.

1 answer

0 votes
John Fetzik
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2019

What you are seeing there is a list of ALL of the Screens that are available in your Jira instance. Some of the screens may not be used. It depends on how your Projects are set up.

Because Jira is so configurable, what screen is used where can be confusing. Key things to keep in mind are that the Screen is dependent to the Issue Type and this can vary from one Project to the next. All of your Projects might use the same configuration Schemes, but don't assume this until you have investigated.

What you really want to do is read the documentation about configuring issues and then do some experimentation.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/defining-a-screen-776636475.html

Suggest an answer