Jira processes automation

Slava Liberzon January 7, 2017

Hi,

I have to automate some JIRA processes, for example:

1. archiving fix version on specified time
  2. changing workflow condition on the same specified time

Is there some tool that could help me with this.

Thanks In Advance,

Slava

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2017

There's no off-the-shelf automation for either of those things that I'm aware of.  You'll need to do some coding.

The archiving one should be relatively straightforward, a regular service that can look for versions that might need archiving and flip the flag. 

The second one sounds like a bad idea to me.  Editing workflows is complex and your users actually expect them to be static, not have dynamic changes.  It would be far better to write a simple condition that looks at a variable you can set somewhere.  Could you describe what the rule you're trying to implement here is?

In both cases, I'd use the Script Runner to do it though, far easier than writing the add-ons you'd need.

Slava Liberzon January 8, 2017

Hi Nic,

Thank You for your swift response.

There is a condition which determines which group of users can resolve issues.

Before starting transfer issues to production we block the resolved button by changing that condition.

Usually group of all users can resolve issues, at the time of transfer to production admin group only can do it.

Can Script Runner deal with it?

With Best Regards,

Slava 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2017

Ooh, that's a clunky process, it would be easier to have extra steps in the workflow with simple "locked"/"unlocked".   Or even just apply a simple  "locked" field to the issues and check that with a condition.

I still wouldn't go trying to change workflows either, that's a long way off optimal, and requires code that can find, unpack and draft your workflow, find the conditions to edit, update them and publish the draft, which is a lot of coding for something that could be a lot more simple.  If you must do it with a condition, then make the condition more simple - have it look at a variable somewhere that you can set or unset.

Script runner can do all of those things.

Suggest an answer