Jira on Kubernetes

Dimitrios Danampasis February 14, 2020

We are looking into moving our Jira instance on a Kubernetes cluster and one of the concerns that were recently risen is whether we should go with a StatefulSet or a Deployment. So, are there any suggestions or lessons learned by using any of the above controllers?

Any additional tips, source of information and comments by people who went through the process could be very valuable to us.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
MB
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2020

Jira is a stateful monolith. You should very much so use a v1/Statefulset. Check this out. 

https://github.com/Bonn93/atlassian-kubernetes/tree/master/jira

SUNDO KIM August 13, 2020

Thank you

0 votes
王九日 November 22, 2022

helm test failed

1、helm test chot-jira-dev -n jira --debug (without network)

debug.log

Any help would be appreciated. 3Q

Yevhen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 22, 2022

@王九日 it doesn't look like Jira has started correctly. Test pod just runs curl to verify status and expects it to be FIRST_RUN or RUNNING. Sharing Jira pod logs may shed some light on what is happening. 

0 votes
Dan Koester September 14, 2020

Has anyone been able to get Jira to run in Kubernetes successfully using the Atlassian images? I can get it to kind of work but it takes 15+ minutes to start up and plugins fail to load. I have it running on a beefy K8S nodes but the pod never seem to want to use more then 100-200m cpu.

MB
Atlassian Team
September 27, 2020

This sounds like an issue with Jira & the plugins. Analyzing and exploring Jira's logs would be the next course of action. Using my repo above and deploying several apps, scaling up and down on slow hardware takes between 3-5 minutes on a E5-2650L. 

Suggest an answer