Jira new issue view - how to change issue type?

Amy Scales October 10, 2018

Using the new issue view in Jira, I cannot see where I can change the issue type. For example, to change a task to a sub-task.

4 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user October 10, 2018

Hi @Amy Scales,

Changes that are made to the new JIRA issue look is documented here. In order to change the issue type, a user should have Administrator permission at the project level which displays the Move option as shown in the below screenshot.

Move_Option.png

You can use this option to update the issue type. Please make sure that the issue type you are trying to add is configured in the respective project.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Priyanka

Dan Anderson October 11, 2018

That is seriously clunky and cumbersome.

Like # people like this
Priyanka Saxena August 9, 2023

It was very helpful! Thanks 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user October 10, 2018

Hi @Amy Scales,

Can you please let me know if you are seeing the below message under the Issue Type field:

There are no issue types with compatible field configuration and/or workflow associations. The issue type can only be changed by moving this issue.

If yes, you can find the related information from the following links:

1. Atlassian Issue
  2. Reference Document

If you are seeing a different error can you share the respective error information?

Regards,

Priyanka

4 votes
Carina Cheng December 4, 2018

Not sure if it was released after your question, @Amy Scales, but now you can click on the Issue Type icon to change it.

Discovered by chance after coming to the Community forum looking for this answer, so yep, not very intuititve.

Bridgitte Molyneux April 28, 2021

Thank you!

Chava J. June 8, 2021

new-view-change-issue-type.png

0 votes
Amy Scales October 10, 2018

@[deleted]

I'm not seeing an issue type field at all (like in the old issue view). 

Meghan Foley June 11, 2020

There is no field, but you can click the icon in the breadcrumbs.

Suggest an answer