Jira new issue view - Cannot view attachment details

Amy Scales September 12, 2018

In the old issue view, the attachment details would be shown when holding the cursor over the attachment. The date is upload would also be always shown. Neither of these functionalities seem to be present with the new view. 

How do I easily view which is the most recent attachment or who added the attachment (without scrolling through all of the issue activity).

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Gabriele Franck
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2018

Hey @Amy Scales

Indeed the attachment details are not loading in the new Jira issue view. I was able to reproduce this problem in my test instance as well.

With that being said, I've already raised a new bug into our system, feel free to add any extra comment over there and watch the bug to receive updates about the fix:

Issue detail view: cannot view attachment details

As a workaround, for now, navigate to your profile (https://<instance_name>.atlassian.net/secure/ViewProfile.jspa) and disable "Issue detail view"; this is a per-user setting(each end user will need to make this change themselves).

Hope this helps for now!

Gabi

Gabriele Cannizzaro March 10, 2019

I don't quite understand... The bug is marked as Resolved, but I see no difference in the attachments list, the details still don't show up. Was it marked Resolved because of the workaround?

Like # people like this
Kory Paulsen May 17, 2019

Yeah, this doesn't seem resolved.  Will the "new view" ever get this feature back?

Also sorely missing are the various attachment sorting/view options that made it much easier to work with attachments - such as the "List" detail view, the "Download All" attachments link and the "Manage Attachments" dialog.

Using the "oldIssueView=true" querystring parameter is still the only real good workaround to all the problems with the "new view".

old-view-attachment-options.png

Like # people like this
Joost Borggreve June 3, 2019

The new GUI for attachments is HORRIBLE and practically UNUSABLE. Not being able to see the details, nor the FULL name of the files (like it was in the previous iteration) is NOT USER FRIENDLY, and causes me to waste valuable time in reverting to the "old view".

For now my workaround is to add "?oldIssueView=true" to the issue URL, like this:

https://[YOURCO].atlassian.net/browse/GD-[ISSUE#]?oldIssueView=true

Hey staff, please tell us that Atlassian/Jira developers are working on reverting this mistake BACK to the previous user-friendly DETAILED attachments view.

Like # people like this
Will McCall September 9, 2019

We're having issues as well. Had a big misunderstanding because a user couldn't tell there were more than 4 attachments on an issue. If you don't hover there is no indication more attachments exist. 

Also, really miss the download all and toggle with keyboard features. 

Catching a lot of flack from our teams on this one. 

Like # people like this
Samuel Silverman November 8, 2019

We're having the same issue still is there any update on a fix for this? @Gabriele Franck 

Julien Bonastre November 19, 2019

Wow, Can't believe Atlassian, the list of poorly implemented functions in their new JIRA issue view are outstanding but even more shocking is their lack of any commitment or efforts to address or respond to these concerns..

Do we need to find a new tech startup who is willing to listen to their paying customers requirements?

Markus_Klug January 20, 2020

The new attachment view is pretty much unusable for more than a handful of attachments. Is there an ETA for fixing this?

Like # people like this
Ronald Verheul May 19, 2021

Is there a way, method, plugin, addons, trick, whatever to make this parameter ?oldIssueView=true permanent in all request to jira?

1 vote
Lee Wade February 14, 2020

Attachements are simply unusable on the new view!

0 votes
Sandeep Gandhi February 7, 2020

You can also open the issue from a existing folder. That carries a valid folder id to the URL and you can see the attachments nicely.

But do not click on open in new tab because that does not carry the folder id.

0 votes
Sandeep Gandhi February 7, 2020

When viewing your jira ticket, simply add the following to the URL and voila you have the old attachment view

?filter=-1

So if your url was

https://xyz.atlassian.net/browse/ABC-123

Change it to 

https://xyz.atlassian.net/browse/ABC-123?filter=-1

0 votes
Dave Rosenhauer February 7, 2020

Same issue here. All of the attachments from the imported data and new attachments only show as file numbers in the "New" view.  If it was an image it will open it.  But, when you try and view a text file or email (.msg file) them you only get download option. And the name of the download doesn't have any file extension so unless you know the type and add it you get a file that won't open. 

They work just fine in the "Old" view. 

Suggest an answer